Notices

Fear Solution

Old 11-24-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear Solution

Remember God won’t place me and you in a situation we cannot handle so why would we would be fearing something if we are doing what is right?
Working on Faith Daily help remove fear – what does this mean? – Be courageous, eliminate procrastination, get uncomfortable, take risks, forget about safety…dream BIG. Say Good Bye to alcohol addiction and Hello to LIFE!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fear has many faces. I never realized how much fear I had until I stopped drinking and really looked at myself.

I think my biggest one was the fear of trusting others. It felt I was let down over and over again to the point that the only person I trusted to handle anything was me. I ran the show. I never looked at it as I was controlling others. I felt I could not trust them to handle it correctly (my way) so I had to do everything.

That is one thing I am learning to work on and I am not all the way there yet but I have come a good ways. First, I let others solve their own problems. I am there to listen and give advice when asked but I do not interject myself into their lives. Second, when it comes to my own issues I think about it, talk it over with my sponsor or a friend and then go from there. If I can do something, then I get off my ass and do it. If I can't then I turn it over to my HP to handle.

The third one I still am working on is wishing that people were different. It may not seem like it but, it is in a way, about control. It is about getting what I want. It mostly has to do with my mother. That is the hardest one, because she lives here and I have to deal with her on a daily basis. I am trying hard to let go but when it smacks you in the face everyday, well lets just say I have to say the serenity prayer several times a day but I am saying it and it helps. I am letting in go in small chunks, well not chucks but little bitty crumbs, but I am trying. Progress, not perfection...lol
Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A Course in Miracles, and most new age spiritual beliefs claim there are only 2 emotions that we act out of. Love, and fear. In the end of my drinking, 99% of what I did was out of fear. I couldn't put a % on where I'm at now, but most of what I presently do is clearly from the other side. The past 29 years has been a much deeper mission for me than just a path away from drugs and alcohol. It's been a journey out of fear, and into love. And as GracieLou already stated, that fear has come in many, MANY, different forms. From agoraphobia and panic, to fear that I'm going to forget to bring my lunch to work today, to about a billion things in between.

Faith has been what's saved me. Faith in a HP that I've chosen to call God, yet doesn't really fit the description or definition I learned as a child. One of the greatest lessons I've learned regarding fear and faith I've shared here before... hope I have time to type it, gotta get out to work...

About 3 years into sobriety I was at a water park. They had a cliff diving pool, and I decided I was going to challenge my fear of heights. There were 2 levels to jump from, I chose the lesser. I climbed the ladder, got to the edge of the cliff, and froze. Couldn't do it. 8 year olds were yelling at me to jump so they could go, and I stepped aside, feeling very much like a fool. I realized that prayer had gotten me through so much more than this silly jump into a pool, and decided I'd have a go at it for this. It had to work. I closed my eyes, prayed for courage, got back to the edge of the cliff, and somehow managed to jump. As I was going down I thought my heart was going to explode with fear. When I landed in the water, my heart was racing, I was shaking, feeling weak, and I was cursing God for not taking the fear away. I swam to the side of the pool, feeling like total crap, mad that my "faith" didn't work, and then it occurred to me that it did work. Perfectly. I got to the other side of the fear.

That was monumental for me because I had always believed that faith meant the absence of fear. For some, maybe that's true, but not for me. From that silly simple lesson I learned that faith meant I would have the courage to walk through my fears. And through that faith and experience of walking through them, they often disappear completely in time.

There were of course times where faith did actually eliminate fear in me, but much more often than not my experience has been as above. Faith gave me courage, time and experience healed the fear.