Notices

Why is alcohol legal?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
As for alcohol being illegal were it to have been "invented" only recently...Alcohol wasn't "invented." It was a discovery that became a necessity around the world for hundreds of years because distilled and otherwise purified spirits were much less harmful than drinking water.
Yes and no. There is evidence of beer being brewed in ancient Egypt, and wine has been around forever. There was no "need for safety" regarding this invention whatsoever, this was enjoyed by kings and peasants alike all over the world.

However, when traveling over long distances, there's a different story. Beers like India Pale Ale are a great example of your point. Especially on ships, fermented brews were indeed safer than water, and often would "keep" much longer. IPA was so named because the English would travel by ship to India, and they needed something that would last long enough to feed the sailors. They found that adding extra hops would keep the beer fresher, longer, and thus that's why it tastes the way it does (or, did, in our case).
Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Yes and no. There is evidence of beer being brewed in ancient Egypt, and wine has been around forever. There was no "need for safety" regarding this invention whatsoever, this was enjoyed by kings and peasants alike all over the world.

However, when traveling over long distances, there's a different story. Beers like India Pale Ale are a great example of your point. Especially on ships, fermented brews were indeed safer than water, and often would "keep" much longer. IPA was so named because the English would travel by ship to India, and they needed something that would last long enough to feed the sailors. They found that adding extra hops would keep the beer fresher, longer, and thus that's why it tastes the way it does (or, did, in our case).
The first alcoholic drink in record is a beer like drink created by the Ancient Sumerians
Old 11-24-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I know it's impossible to make it go away, but in the US abusing alcohol is almost celebrated. In movies, tv shows, everywhere, it's "cool" to drink and party.

At least we could do a bit better at swaying the mindset.

But of course that won't happen, we are talking about an industry that has over $400 billion per year of activity in the US alone... That's a lot of marketing money at their disposal.

It's like the tobacco industry before the publics opinion changed. What "good" really comes of drinking an alcoholic beverage? Nothing, really, ever.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

People imply (or outright declare) there's a conspiracy to keep alcohol legal for all the money it generates.

People imply (or outright declare) there's a conspiracy to keep marijuana and other drugs illegal for all the money they generate.

Not directed at anyone in particular, and these views extend well past SR of course. Just an observation.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Living in Denver, there's obviously been a lot of debate regarding the recent legalization of marijuana for recreational use. A lot of people were freaked out that suddenly once it was legal, we'd have this gigantic surge of stoned drivers, stoned people everywhere, etc.. when I just sort of sat back and thought.. the people who want to smoke it already do, who cares? And now it's been legal for a while and nothing went nuts. That's sort of a backwards tangent into this discussion, but I know that I may have felt alcohol was my enemy when I first began my recovery journey, and now I realize it wasn't the alcohol at all.. not one bit.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It should be legal because of how many people can use alcohol in a healthy manner. Alcohol in moderation is okay, so it shouldn't be illegal to the people who can use it responsibly. If your an alcoholic you should consider alcohol illegal to you and never buy it.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Living in Denver, there's obviously been a lot of debate regarding the recent legalization of marijuana for recreational use. A lot of people were freaked out that suddenly once it was legal, we'd have this gigantic surge of stoned drivers, stoned people everywhere, etc.. when I just sort of sat back and thought.. the people who want to smoke it already do, who cares? And now it's been legal for a while and nothing went nuts. That's sort of a backwards tangent into this discussion, but I know that I may have felt alcohol was my enemy when I first began my recovery journey, and now I realize it wasn't the alcohol at all.. not one bit.
Exactly almost everyone who smokes weed will smoke weed if it's legal or not. Drunk driving is something people should be worried about a lot more then a stoner driver.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I don't think legislating human behavior really helps. The idea of a democratic society is that we can all learn from our mistakes and grow without someone treating us like children.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

another point i think the government will not make it illegal, do you know how much revenue is generated directly and indirectly from the taxes from alcohol? billions upon billions, just like tobacco. too much money to be made from governments and from people as well.

i think it is all personal responsibility. drinking chronically is bad for your health.

why should governments pass laws for every one to follow when they like to drink only to stop your addiction??
Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm all for legalizing alcohol, & legalizing pot. I've only had a problem with one and never tried the other. But from what I've heard, alcohol is much more damaging to people's health, and society in general. If that's the case, it doesn't make sense to lock up pot-smokers and give them a rap sheet along with rapists or dangerous, violent people. Just make the same rules as alcohol (DWI being a crime, etc)
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I was born with terrible allergies to animals, and I LOVE animals, I wanted to be a vet, but sadly, it wasn't in the cards. Animals sadly make ME sick, but there are a lot of other wonderful things that don't. I have always considered myself pretty fortunate because I can usually avoid situations with animals, my brother has terrible dust allergies, pretty hard to avoid dust..!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteveJr View Post
I'm all for legalizing alcohol, & legalizing pot. I've only had a problem with one and never tried the other. But from what I've heard, alcohol is much more damaging to people's health, and society in general. If that's the case, it doesn't make sense to lock up pot-smokers and give them a rap sheet along with rapists or dangerous, violent people. Just make the same rules as alcohol (DWI being a crime, etc)
Alcohol is more powerful and does cause more problems for society. Weed and alcohol aren't in the same ball park when it comes to the power of the substance.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

The little-told story of how the U.S. government poisoned alcohol during Prohibition.

Because if it was illegal, men calling themselves "the state" would be tempted to murder.

"Your obedience or your life."

No, thank you. I will pass. Societies ills will be fixed through compassion and healing - not the barrel of a gun.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I didn't read the entire thread but I believe alcohol is legal because it is immensely profitable. In a country (USA) where hedonism may as well be protected in a constitutional amendment, corporations and businesses producing alcohol have a supple consumer base indoctrinated by the media-driven allure of drinking. Take a look at any alcohol commercial: some fantastical scenario fueled by alcohol consumption. People watch that commercial, crack open the first drink and discover, "I get what they're talking about" as the euphoria arises.

In order to really derail alcohol as a viable product, someone should use a similar campaign as the Truth campaign for cigarettes: start showing ads with people committing domestic violence, puking uncontrollably and getting into car accidents while drunk. Nothing will flip a switch and entirely cease alcohol consumption, but projecting the right information may help persuade the public of actual danger associated with this legal product in their fridge.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee and others to a point that say alcohol wasn't the problem - it was a symptom - but to be honest, everyone has problems such as anxiety and occasional depression but they simply don't use alcohol because it doesn't work for them to dispell these problems. My mum and many others I know don't get a euphoric effect from alcohol like I did so it would never appeal to them to use it to cover up anxiety or stress. I did however and so the legality of it made it all too convenient. Also if alcohol was illegal I would've never have bothered with it.

In answer to ur question, as others said its just tradition and ingrained in to our culture and provides HUGE revenue for the government that far outweighs the cost it causes to the health services .
Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Because it's so ingrained in our culture. I believe if it were discovered today it would be illegal.