Notices

Why is alcohol legal?

Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is alcohol legal?

I don't think it should be. I'm curious about other alcoholics opinions. People would still find ways to drink, ofcourse, but it wouldn't be nearly so bad. I read that 1 in 5 people who drinks ends up with a serious problem. There's no way of knowing whether you''ll be that person or not, until you become that person. And you'll probably drive, too. It is so awful how drinking is simply expected for people in their 20s. Why is that?? I'm addicted to neurontin and ambien as well as alcohol. Alcohol has been much more dangerous than any prescribed meds I've had.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a majority of people out there who don't abuse it like I did.

This is not always a popular view...but I firmly believe alcohol wasn't the problem with me - I was the problem.

D
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by lovesymphony View Post
I don't think it should be. I'm curious about other alcoholics opinions. People would still find ways to drink, ofcourse, but it wouldn't be nearly so bad. I read that 1 in 5 people who drinks ends up with a serious problem. There's no way of knowing whether you''ll be that person or not, until you become that person. And you'll probably drive, too. It is so awful how drinking is simply expected for people in their 20s. Why is that?? I'm addicted to neurontin and ambien as well as alcohol. Alcohol has been much more dangerous than any prescribed meds I've had.
Sure............let's go back to the 1920's/1930's; those were some really good ole (sober? hah! not!) days.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So if it was illegal you are saying you would never drink? The reason it's legal in this country is because prohibition failed miserably.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We tried that here in the US, and it was a total disaster, people drank as much as ever, and people were killed in the streets because the mafia was in control of the distribution.

Sound familiar?

I believe strongly that to deal with any public health or addiction issue, you must deal with the root cause, which creates the demand.
Attacking the supply just creates more problems, and creates criminals out of sick people.

And as far as prescriptions? That can kill you just like alcohol. But if your doctor stops prescribing it, and you buy it, now you are a felon as well. See what I mean?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Matt M

Because if it isn't abused then it isn't really dangerous.
You could say the same about food. When food is abused it can cause obesity and no end of medical problems.

Although on the other hand, nobody needs alcohol to stay alive!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lol. Because some people can have one beer and stop. That's not detrimental to anyone.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I couldn't start to recover until I accepted the fact that I was the problem not the alcohol.

I can choose to drink or I can choose not to drink. No one forced me to drink, I made myself drink.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If it was discovered now , yes then it would be surely banned .

But because we have been brainwashed and conditioned to drink it for 100s of years it will continue to cause damage and mayhem in the world we live in.

Study: Alcohol 'most harmful drug,' followed by crack and heroin - CNN.com
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I firmly agree with the above posts regarding the problem being me, and only me.

That being said, alcohol is many things to many people. So is sex. Food. Video games. Driving fast etc. Human beings want escape from stress and emotions. It's what we do as a race. In recovery we learn to better deal with emotions, but still escape from real life in many ways. Going to a meeting of AA and sharing is one way. Sitting with another alcoholic and listening to them is another. Getting out of ourselves and into someone else allows us to put our problems and issues on the backburner. This is healthy for us. It may seem like a contradiction in its' very nature, but drinking can be a healthy escape for "normal" people.

If you want to get to the root cause, alcoholics should be illegal, not alcohol.

Then again, I disagree with most of the concept of law. Not to say I'm an anarchist, for there are good laws. But I really don't like the government and the people who vote telling me what I can and cannot do in the house that I outright bought, which by the way I pay rent to the United States to on a regular basis. It's called taxes. Anyway... Before I go on a tirade about politics and my opinion, I'll shut up
Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree man.. Out of everything that I've ever tried alcohol has been by far the most dangerous drug for me. I saw a study that ranked alcohol as being more physically and mentally damaging than a lot of the "hard drugs" that are illegal today.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

at one time it was illegal. but that is when organize crime stepped it to supply it
when it was illegal that is how NASCAR was started. which i do like to watch.
people are going to drink no matter what.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree if it was invented today,it most certainly would be illegal. But so would salt.
While it did mess up my life,it was nobody's fault but mine. I actually did have fun doing it a big part of the time.
Eventually it will probably be taxed into oblivion like cigarettes. Taxation without representation.
I personally think way to many things have become illegal,and if things keep going like they are. Hamburgers will be "outlawed".
I am happy I had the choice to drink and party. I am also happy I no longer do it. I don't like the idea of other people making my decisions for me. Right or wrong I like the idea of making my own decisions.
Just my opinion....
Fred
Old 11-21-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Alcohol has been a part of the global culture for thousands of years and it isn't going away any time soon. Moreover, the enormous tax revenues generated by its sales mean it will be highly unlikely that legislation would ever be passed to make it illegal.

Hopefully, along with many other bad habits, humans will one day transcend alcohol use as well. (Now, back to Star Trek).
Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

it was illegal in the U.S. at one time and it was worse. crime rates rocketed and deaths and serious injuries/illnesses from home brews rose dramatically.

heroin is illegal and the problems getting worse.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thank u for the responses. I admit I haven't researched in detail to understand why prohibition didn't work back then. But I also think if crack was so cheap and easy to pick at the gas station there would be more crack addicts today. It's not just about personal harm, but the danger that drinking causes other people...food addicts don't kill people when they drive, or cause unplanned pregnancies etc. Not all addictions make people lose their judgment...and it's not only alcoholics that do dumb things when they drink
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thank u for the responses. I admit I haven't researched in detail to understand why prohibition didn't work back then. But I also think if crack was so cheap and easy to pick at the gas station there would be more crack addicts today. It's not just about personal harm, but the danger that drinking causes other people...food addicts don't kill people when they drive, or cause unplanned pregnancies etc. Not all addictions make people lose their judgment...and it's not only alcoholics that do dumb things when they drink
Old 11-21-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I accept all responsibility for the bad decisions I made when i drank to excess. Idon't blame the manufacturer anymore than I blame the Levis when my jeans get tight.

I don't think alcohol should be "illegal". Most people drink normally not to excess, it;'s not my place to judge them. I worry about MY consumption, that's enough.

I won't get into economics, but comparing crack to wine/beer/hard liquor is ridicules.

The liquor industry provides legal employment and benefits for many, just like any other job both in the US and other countries.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

$
Old 11-21-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I prefer weed to alcohol but I never smoke it because it's illegal. It's expensive and there's drug testing sometimes for finding a job.I have not slept ALL night and the beer to help my major insomnia is just a few blocks down the street. How tempting is that?