Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What pivotal event/events led up to your relapse?

Notices

What pivotal event/events led up to your relapse?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I made it roughly six weeks with no program and no support. I checked in here at SR initially but then left it once I discovered I was "fine" on my own.

Right.

I think I suffered from the idea of "Hey, I did it once (stopped), so I can do it again!" which is monumentally stupid but unfortunately common. I also thought that I might have gained some tolerance or was going to somehow have reset the clock by having abstained for six weeks.

Unfortunately, it was much, much, MUCH, worse after my six week hiatus (hello, Kindling) and much, much, MUCH harder to stop again. I would warn anyone who has any time sober and entertains that little "I stopped once, so why not have a drink because I can stop again?!" voice to crush it ASAP. It is so dangerous. There's a very good chance you won't make it back.

Now? AA five times a week, sponsor, commitments in AA and volunteering outside of it, sober friends and new lifestyle, and SR daily. Result: 9 months as of last week and none of that crazy sh!t about trying again running through my head.

Great topic and thread, thanks!!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would have between one and three drinks a night after graduating college, working, getting married, having kids. Then my drinking started to accelerate when my wife was diagnosed with cancer. At the time we had two boys, aged 10 and 7. Cancer treatment worked and now she's a 10-year survivor. But my drinking kept going.

Quit for about two years in 2009 as the binging was getting out of control. Picked it up again in about 2011 as I was watching my dad die of cancer and found out that my older son was gay. I love him to pieces, but had to get past the fact that most likely grandchildren are not in the picture. To this day I consider him to be my best friend in the world.

So, bottom line, family emotional struggles were my triggers.