Notices

Milestone Cravings????

Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Milestone Cravings????

Today I am 99 days sober and I am craving a drink so bad. It is all I have been thinking about the last few hours. I feel like saying the hell with sobriety and having a few.

I was the same way at 90 days; I don't know if the cravings are stronger than ever because I am approaching the 100 day mark, which is making me think more about it or what.

I also am so sick of counting the days and thinking about sobriety. I just want to move on and live life.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pmv
if it works don't fix it

your sharing about it so do you really want to get drunk? i miss it too but i know the outcome..........plus i've been going to alot of meetings ;-)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I suffered the same thing, and called it recovery fatigue. It is tiring to always be thinking of drinking or not drinking. But it's kind of the price you pay. Recovery is successful when you focus on it. Get complacent and you will find yourself giving in to the craving. You might not even realize you are craving, you'll just drink.

If you drink you will lose all the ground you have gained, and do you really want to go through early recovery again.

It DOES GET BETTER. Stay the course.

I don't think it's about counting or not counting. It just takes more than a hundred days to undo years of drinking.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post

I also am so sick of counting the days and thinking about sobriety. I just want to move on and live life.
So move on and live life.

This morning I got up at 5:40am, made my bed, did two loads of laundry, cut my hair, shaved, cleaned my library, washed dishes, listened to some gospel hymms, ran to the grocery store and then proceeded to the gym. Once there I did 13 pull ups, 15 shoulder presses, 40 push ups, 100 sit ups and bicycled 14 miles. Afterwards I rewarded myself with a Venti Mocca and a cinnamon roll from Starbucks. After this post I'm going to read for an hour and then take a much deserved, nap.

This is the kind of life that is waiting for you if you choose to live it. Life is not difficult. Thus, do yourself a favor and stop making it complicated.

Simplify, simplify, simplify.

I am almost fifteen months down the road of 100% sobriety and I don't count. Never have. Never will. I don't see the point. Only people in prison do that. I'd rather focus on my freedom from alcoholism.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No I will not drink.

Thinking about it is so different than the physical act.

I was cleaning up the kitchen this weekend and put away a half a bottle of wine that my wife was drinking. I had no thought of drinking it at all. I would feel too guilty and angry at myself if I drink.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check out Jack Trimpeys book on AVRT. It's helped me greatly. I figured out that counting days doesn't help. It keeps it in your mind too much. Gotta move on with life!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

First time round I got cravings (and sometimes relapsed) at 30,60,90.

It was like I was swimming, doing fine, then passed a buoy telling me how far from the familiar shore I was and I got scared I wouldn't make it ahead, so I turned back.

So...having realized that for me counting days was counter productive, I no longer do it.

I know about when I quit...and if I do the math I can tell you the number of months, but on a daily basis I don't know, it doesn't matter, not everything I do is a product of or connected to the fact that I am an addict/alcoholic. What I am doing today and what I will do in the future is where my attention is.

I know counting days is a very helpful practice for many people. But there are some of us that found we do better when we don't keep track of days.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It happened to me at 6 months. I pulled into the beer store parking lot,had the door open and was getting out of the car when I said WHOA.
That was a Sunday afternoon,and it kept on until Monday (which was my 6 month anniversary). I got to an AA meeting,and got my coin. I felt better after that. That was the last really close call I had.
But I still keep track. I like to know how long I have been sober.

Fred
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
For me, it took a Spiritual Awakening for the obsession to be lifted from me. Even at 5 months dry I was constantly thinking of when (not if) I would have that next drink.

Then poof... in the blink of any eye the obsession was lifted like a small puff of smoke in the wind. However, It was not the result of calendar days spent not-drinking. It was the result of my surrendering the idea that I would ever "achieve" sobriety. I had to give up the idea that sobriety had something to with me, myself or I. It was more like an unmerited gift.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

No idea if it will, but see if this rings any bells for you Doug:

PAWS | Digital Dharma
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I remember this one time I quit drinking, and, well, that was the only time. I can tell you what day it was, and even the time to the minute, but I never did grip onto that calendar dreading each new day in fear of drinking again.

If you really want to quit drinking and get on with your life, may I suggest you accept that your drinking days are done. Forever and for good, your good. Then get busy doing stuff that is funner. Seal the deal, and start living again. Onward!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Eat some candy - it works .
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first three months are really tough. I thought about drinking all the time. It does get better. I'm wishing you well.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey doug congrads on day 100! Thats a milestone. Ive been putting these tiny little calendars on my fridge for months now. I rarely look at ghem anymore. I stop counting the days around 130. Now I don't count the weeks anymore. I do count the months tho. Im working on #9. I think you'll experience the same thing. Eventually time moves so quickly you will occupy your thoughts with other things. Just surrender and move on. For me I ask and thank God for another day. After that its up to me to just live it.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Same here Doug.

I've just completely stopped counting the days now.

Stopped on july 27/13. Don't care how many days that is..

Just know that im not going to drink today.

They say it gets better..It a has to ...for me anyway - don't have a choice.

Argh