Notices

Time to sort this out once and for all

Old 10-31-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to sort this out once and for all

Hey all, I did 12 days sober in September, and got a lot of support and encouragement from you lovely people, then I ****ed up and had a drink, and I've been there ever since. Im up to my usual antics of taking sick days from work because I wake up with crippling anxiety and feelings of dread, and numbing those feelings of inadequacy with more alcohol. Yesterday I didnt drink in the morning and I felt clear and physically well, decided to go for a walk, interact with the outside world you know, and it was good, then as a "reward" for feeling good, I went to the bar and had 2 drinks, then bought another 8 to drink at home, then obliviated myself until i went to bed at midnight, then was woken up this morning by a nightmare where I was 5 hours late for work and I kept losing my stuff. Needless to say I have taken another day off work. I am self employed so no work, no money!

Ive just lit up a drink, I only have 2 or 3 left in the house. I really want to stop this, I see its the 1st on November tomorrow, I am thinking about setting myself a goal of No-booze-Vember!

Im halfway through the Rational Recovery book, AVRT etc, its very similar to the Allen Carr book on quitting alcohol (which I read and subsequently stopped for 14 months after reading) In fact im pretty sure Allen Carr has nicked the whole idea and just put in his own words.

Im not sure what Im trying to say, I am just sick of this, I wish there was a reset button for my life.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a reset button for not drinking. You just have to push it yourself and when you do you will feel much better both physically and mentally in terms of anxiety reduction.
It is kind of is a "life reset" in many ways.

My anxiety was also becoming crippling due to my drinking and now it is essentially gone. Totally worth not drinking in every way. Good luck and stick to your guns :-)
Old 10-31-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is rough getting started but if you really want something you can do it.

I wanted to quit drinking countless times - but I finally stuck to it and now I am 95 days sober. Funny thing is this time I didn't plan on quitting; my doctor put me on Zoloft for anxiety and told me not to drink. I stuck with the Zoloft for 2 months but hated it so I stopped it. But I will not go back to drinking.

Now my big struggle is starting a diet to lose weight. I dropped about 15 pounds after I quit drinking but put it back on by eating so much junk to substitute for the booze.

I start a new diet every week but it doesn't take.

Bottom line if you really want something you can acheive it!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As you are well aware,quitting isn't easy. We have to learn from our mistakes,and not do the same thing over and over. What I am trying to say is there is more to it than just quitting.
I myself couldn't have done it without AA. For me situations happened throughout the first year,where I could have fallen on either side of the fence on any given day. AA helped me to fall on the sober side of the fence.
Just being around other people trying to do the same thing helped me immensely.

Fred
Old 10-31-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Leon

D
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Leon. I'm one of those who drank for too long after realizing I'm an alcoholic. Back then there was no internet or even a PC and the only show in town was AA which had a good rep. Back then there was some fear of going to "those meetings" so people elected to park on their neighbors lawns, get DUIs, be on the papers arrest pages, hospitalization to death etc.
I feel that alcohol creates a brain damage situation that prevents the thinking/emotional processing to operate in a healthy way and encourages undisciplined behavior.

The old timers kept it simple, if you don't drink you don't get drunk or have to try to stop AGAIN. Staying stopped is the goal as we can't guarantee the results if we drink. The whole process takes a lot of work and is based on self honesty about our drinking. There are also people who want to drink more that be sober, for them there is little hope until that thinking is reversed. Again alcohol is cunning baffling and insidious. BE WELL