Notices

Restless Leg Syndrome

Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless Leg Syndrome

I'm going through the early stages of detox and the RLS I'm having right now while laying in bed trying to go to sleep is insane. It's much worse in my arms than my legs, despite its name. Is there anything I can do to combat this particular symptom?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

From what are you detoxing? Have you thought about seeing a doctor?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Spartan, I had it with my legs, bad cramps. My friend told me to eat bananas. It helped. Best wishes.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Matt M

I had that every single time I laid down to try and sleep. Arms and legs twitching. I had to turn the light on and sit up all night.
It was at it's worse building up to the first seizure I had, so I would be careful if you have just completely stopped drinking.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

RLS need not be a symptom of anything more serious, but if you're concerned or feel unwell it's good to take Matts suggestion and see about it.

I've had RLS for most of my life. Here are some useful natural remedies:
[QUOTE]
Get up and walk. Walking around may be the only thing that helps. A midnight stroll through the house may calm your legs enough to keep them still when you go back to bed.

Check out your caffeine consumption. Coffee, tea, chocolate, sodas, and even over-the-counter (OTC) medications may contain caffeine. Try cutting your consumption of caffeine-containing foods and medications (or substituting decaffeinated varieties) to see if your condition improves. Avoid tobacco, which contains the stimulant nicotine, and alcohol, which can have its own detrimental effects on sleep, as well.

Modify your medication. Some OTC medications, such as certain cold medications and allergy pills, contain mild stimulants that can result in jittery legs. Ask your pharmacist if any medications you are taking contain stimulants and whether there are any nonstimulating alternatives.

Take a bath. A warm bath or massage before bed relaxes muscles and therefore may be helpful.

Change your temperature. Sometimes, a change from hot to cold, or cold to hot, can do the trick. Try putting a heating pad or hot pack on your legs for a short while. If that doesn't work, drape a cool towel over your legs, or dip your feet in cool water.

Make sure you're eating well. There are some indications that a deficiency in iron, folate, or magnesium may contribute to restless legs syndrome. By eating a wide variety of nutrient-rich foods, you should get the vitamins and minerals you need. However, your doctor may recommend supplements of these specific nutrients.

Make a bedtime habit. Get into a regular routine that will help your mind and body settle down and prepare for bed.

Stick to a schedule. Getting to bed at about the same time each night and allowing for a full night's sleep may help avoid the fatigue that could be a contributing factor to restless legs syndrome.

Soothe your stress. Stress may not be the cause of restless legs syndrome, but it can exacerbate it. Try to eliminate some of the stress in your life. Regular exercise and some form of relaxation technique, whether yoga, meditation, visualization, or even an engaging hobby may help you "de-stress."

Exercise your legs. Moderate exercise often helps, although excessive exercise can aggravate restless leg symptoms. A daily walk at a moderate pace is an excellent exercise, especially for folks who haven't been very physically active in a while.

Stretch your legs. Try stretching your calves, hamstrings, and gluteal (butt) muscles before bed.

Wear socks to bed. Some experts have found that a lot of people who suffer from restless legs syndrome also seem to have cold feet. Although nobody has studied the connection, it might not hurt to bundle up your tootsies for the night.
Discovery Health "12 Home Remedies for Restless Legs Syndrome"
Bananas do also seem to help for me, as well as warm baths and a little exercise & some stretches.

If things don't improve you may need to see your Dr anyway?

D
Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

stretching, hot shower, bananas. pacing. I wish there was a magic cure for it. I can go months with no problems then months where its just unbearable. There was a product by hylands it was called restful legs I think. it seemed to help if its placebo or not I have no idea.

I think i've tried everything. and honestly even when i drank it never really helped RLS sure once i passed out it was not an issue *sigh*.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

i also started doing a lot of walking and then running and I cant say that any of htat made matters any worse or better. I thought the walking for sure would help. not really I still face the same issues.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had this real bad when I was actively drinking (would start at 3-4 in the morning when the alcohol was leaving my body). In rehab they gave me medication that put it to rest, but I can't remember what the meds were. Obviously see a doctor if the problem persists. I've found that after 2 months of being sober it doesn't happen much any more. If I do start to get it at night I start to look at any stressors I might currently have as that tends to be the catalyst.

All the best,
methodman
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

if you dont pick up a drink they go away.

Easy.