Notices

I can't stand sloppy drunk people

Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't stand sloppy drunk people

I recently visited NYC and went to see a musical. The tickets weren't cheap, I had to save for several months, but I was really looking forward to it.

The show was almost ruined for me by a young woman in the seat in front of me guzzling tumblers of wine (why are they selling wine during performances?), talking through the show, laughing loudly at the wrong places, and making out with her boyfriend.

It disgusts me to see such sloppy behavior and disgusts me more to think I used to act like that. I bet she remembered nothing about it afterwards, but I will have that picture in my head for a long time.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by JustODAAT View Post
I recently visited NYC and went to see a musical. The tickets weren't cheap, I had to save for several months, but I was really looking forward to it.

The show was almost ruined for me by a young woman in the seat in front of me guzzling tumblers of wine (why are they selling wine during performances?), talking through the show, laughing loudly at the wrong places, and making out with her boyfriend.

It disgusts me to see such sloppy behavior and disgusts me more to think I used to act like that. I bet she remembered nothing about it afterwards, but I will have that picture in my head for a long time.
Attended a concert sober a few months back. It was SRO and I spent part of the show watching the guy in front of me being held up by his friends so he wouldn't fall. I was thankful that I was actually enjoying the concert and had no hangover to look forward to the next morning.

I have a low tolerance for drunken idiots because I'm not one anymore.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hate sloppy drunks too. Even when I was drinking heavily I still wasn't sloppy in front of people.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Matt M

Over the past year or so I missed so many concerts because I just drank instead. Things I had tickets for, I just either didn't go or left early to drink. Missed out on so much good stuff.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sloppy drunks, or just obnoxious people in general? Im a drunk who has looked down on the "sloppy" ones who cant handle theirs, due to the fact that I had drank FAR more and was still completely functional.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There's something about her being a young woman (and me being an older woman) that particularly got to me.

Like lots of alcoholics I am hypersensitive to how much people drink. This young woman drank the equivalent of 3/4 a bottle of wine during the performance. I used to drink a bottle of wine a night.

Has anyone heard about this new book "Drink" about the relationship between alcohol and women? I haven't read it yet, but I heard the author interviewed, and she talks about how young women are showing an alarming amount of liver disease and the whole marketing of alcohol to women, the way wine in particular is marketed ("mommy juice" etc.).

I just see this young woman and myself in the book and see myself in this young woman (although I agree there is a degree of just obnoxious here, I would never do this at a performance)...it all just makes me crazy.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(why are they selling wine during performances?),.
Are you kidding, this is how they make money. Be it a restaurant, a sporting event, a concert, whatever they over charge for alcoholic drinks and people are there so they buy it.

Even being an alcoholic I still didn't pay $9 per beer at a ball game. I just got drunk at home before I went. I think the most I ever paid for a drink in my life was at a fancy restaurant in South Carolina about 10 years ago. A double Absolut and cranberry cost $19.50. And the drink was weak.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I actually quite enjoy being round sloppy drunk people , well for a while anyway .

Feel like I am being plugged in and my sober batteries are being re charged looking at them.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I'm going to the theatre tonight to see a couple of eighties bands and I dare say there will be a few aged young romantics having a few.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Years ago I was very judgmental when I ran into a sloppy drunk. They annoyed me beyond words, I had no tolerance for them, and I would often be quite rude to them, often telling them to just get away from me.

Then I became an annoying, happy, back-slapping drunk.

Now I'm much less judgmental, actually I feel sorry for sloppy drunks. Of course, I still find them annoying, but given my own behavior I can no longer feel superior to those people who can't hold their liquor.

And they remind me of how I once behaved, and that's something I need reminding of.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I became an obnoxious, sloppy drunk as my drinking escalated. If I was going out with friends or family I often would drink beforehand and then drink much faster than everyone else once I was out. People would often question how I got so drunk so fast. They didn`t see the screwdrivers I drank at home earlier or the extra shots of tequila I ordered when going to the bar to get a pint of beer. Some people may have thought I couldnt handle my booze, but I was downing far more than anyone else. Needless to say but I ruined many a night out for people close to me...
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

does personality or tolerance level make a sloppy drunk? I could drink 30 beers quick and still be almost the same as i was sober from the point of view of a bystander. This of course was from a lot of practice. I still think personality has a lot to do with it.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been a slopy drunk at times and I am not proud of it.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Making fun of other sloppy drunks is not something other drunk people need.

When that girl comes here for help I hope you apologize to her for making fun of her.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Matt M

The worst thing people can do after quitting is to turn into one of those unbearable preachy holier than thou people.
Like when people quit smoking or find religion and then feel the need to lecture people on the bad things they are doing.

Fact is, most people can drink alcohol and not let it consume them and badly affect their lives.
The person mentioned in the original post guzzling wine is probably having a great life and probably has no addiction issues. She just sounds like a really annoying person who most people would want to see slapped.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is not my intention to make fun of her. I apologize if that was the impact.

My intention was to reflect on my reaction to her. I was trying to think about that reaction and use it as an opportunity to think about my own sobriety: she disgusted me because I am disgusted by my own past behavior. I can't stand sloppy drunks now because I was one then.

What I find this forum helpful for is discussing in depth my alcoholism with others who are in the same boat. If she were to appear on this forum, I would connect to her experience as I try to connect to others' experience.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Matt M

It is not my intention to make fun of her. I apologize if that was the impact.

My intention was to reflect on my reaction to her. I was trying to think about that reaction and use it as an opportunity to think about my own sobriety: she disgusted me because I am disgusted by my own past behavior. I can't stand sloppy drunks now because I was one then.

What I find this forum helpful for is discussing in depth my alcoholism with others who are in the same boat. If she were to appear on this forum, I would connect to her experience as I try to connect to others' experience.

It didn't sound like you were making fun of her at all, it's really odd how anyone got that impression from your post.

You just sounded irritated by her, the same as I would have been. Anyone who makes excessive noise irritates me, whether they're drunk or not!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It feels hypocritical of me to get mad at them because I know there was times while blacked out that I was pretty sloppy myself. I usually just feel bad for them. I don't enjoy seeing it but I think it helps my recovery.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
It feels hypocritical of me to get mad at them because I know there was times while blacked out that I was pretty sloppy myself. I usually just feel bad for them. I don't enjoy seeing it but I think it helps my recovery.

Yeah but it sounds like she was just annoying because she was an idiot.
She's probably quite similar when she's sober.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Someone has to drive them home ,Its normally me these days

As long as they don't start a fight ,it does not bother me much .,

Its the obnoxious drunks that want to fight ,that are aggravating .