Notices

Who is Responsible?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who is Responsible?

I read so many posts from people the world over, all suffering from the ravages of alcohol addiction. And YES, it is an addictive substance, especially to those with a genetic predisposition. So here is my question...

Do you think that the alcohol industry, the breweries, vineyards, distilleries...all of those corporations making billions of dollars every year selling the stuff, should assume any responsibility for providing healthcare, rehab, recovery support services...any and all of the programs and care necessary for treating those who are addicted to their products?

I take full responsibility for my alcoholism. But I come from a long line of alcoholics. Sure, I should have known I would become addicted. But on the other hand, why is there no disclaimer or information provided to me by the companies spending zillions to convince me to drink the stuff, telling me that there is a significant risk of addiction because of my ancestry. The tobacco industry now pays a fortune in judgements from lawsuits, to cancer research, etc...all because it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that their product is highly addictive, and that using it can and probably will result in devastating consequences to one's health, and the health of others.

I'm of the opinion that the alcohol producers should be contributing a huge portion of their profits to recovery programs, public awareness campaigns, the healthcare industry and certainly to victims of alcohol abuse...the people hurt in drunk driving accidents, that kind of thing.

You spent God only knows how much marketing money tempting me, luring me in, making alcohol appear oh so attractive. And yes, you absolutely knew that your products were and are highly addictive. Well, now I'm hooked. Time to spend some of that fortune helping me and all of the others you ensnared get out of your clutches. It would be a drop in the bucket.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nobody put a gun to your head and said drink did they? People choose their own path even if its a path towards destruction. The makers of the alcohol or any other harmful substance shouldn't be held responsible for someones bad decisions.

That said, I really think alcohol should be illegal. Its a substance that causes intoxication just like all the other illegal drug. If one drug is illegal, they should all be illegal. In all reality why do people feel the need to get intoxicated? "I need to unwind" excuses are crap
Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I never really gave it much thought because once I admitted to myself I was an alcoholic I realized I was the person I needed to change. Although you do bring up a good point and it would be nice to see maybe a federal tax on all alcoholic products that would go towards supporting treatment, diagnosis, education, alcoholism research, etc... That won't likely happen though until enough a class action suit is raised against them like was done with tobacco years ago which when they lost forced them to contribute part of their profits.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been sober nearly five years now, so I'm not looking for any money or help with my recovery...I'm in pretty good shape now.

It just infuriates me to read, over and over and over, tragic stories from my fellow alcoholics, loss and illness and loneliness. Lives shattered by this liquid poison. And still, the endless ads for beer (It's Miller Time...friends and bonfires and burgers and the beach!), wine (beautiful people sipping jewel toned elixer in the glow of the setting California Sun!) Vodka (drink this on the rocks and you, too will be popular and sexy and the object of adoration!). What if the ads were selling heroin, crack, methamphetamines?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm with ya there. It sucks. Everything is party party party these days. And its so widely accepted, people black out and get dui's and its just "oh hes such a party animal".
Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't need any assistance, I started just fine on my own. I didn't blame anyone for years because I didn't care. Blame is sort of like the burglar that sued the house owner when they fell and got hurt.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Plenty of people drink responsibly. I just was not one of them. Advertising or not.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think one point you miss concerning the tobacco industry was they spent billions not just trying to convince everyone that smoking was enjoyable and relaxing they spent a ton of money lieing and hiding research that proved the deadliness of tobacco and hid the fact they were adding chemicals that increased the addictiveness of their products. That is what got them in trouble.
All alcohol advertising is now restricted to only air at certain times of the day, include the admonishment to Drink Responsibly, etc.
So, should they have to pay? Not in my opinion but I do think it would be nice if states instituted "punishment taxes" on alcohol like they do with tobacco products
Old 10-22-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Plenty of people drink responsibly. I just was not one of them. Advertising or not.
THIS

I mean I can kind of see where OP is coming from, and at times I have thought the same thing...but those who drink at bonfires on the beach with burgers and such, most of the time can limit and control themselves.

My best friend usually drinks a couple Saturdays a month, and probably gets "drunk" maybe once or twice a year. Just because I CANNOT do that or control my drinking doesn't mean alcohol should not be available to him to enjoy in a moderate, responsible way. When he is drinking, he is typically enjoying the beer he is drinking. When I was drinking I was already thinking about my NEXT drink before I was even done with my first.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
THIS

I mean I can kind of see where OP is coming from, and at times I have thought the same thing...but those who drink at bonfires on the beach with burgers and such, most of the time can limit and control themselves.

My best friend usually drinks a couple Saturdays a month, and probably gets "drunk" maybe once or twice a year. Just because I CANNOT do that or control my drinking doesn't mean alcohol should not be available to him to enjoy in a moderate, responsible way. When he is drinking, he is typically enjoying the beer he is drinking. When I was drinking I was already thinking about my NEXT drink before I was even done with my first.
I quote drunk because drunk to him and "normies" is a different drunk than me (an alcoholic) When he gets drunk he may sing or act a big more jovial. When I get drunk I get absolutely plastered, blackout, harm myself and typically go on multiple day benders.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This has already happened with the tobacco industry - they had to pay billions and billions of dollars to the states as compensation for the "damages" of tobacco use. Many people think alcohol is the next target.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a legal drug that has limited negative consequences when it is used within accepted guidelines . . . 2 drinks per day for a man, one per day for a woman. The problem is I didn't drink that way.

I do think that alcohol is very dangerous for some of us as are ability to use reason diminished after we drink a few. Some of us just don't have a working stop switch.

I wouldn't mind additional taxes levied upon alcohol if they were used for detox and alcohol abuse prevention. The alcohol industry would higher about a million lobbyists and quickly sink that though. And even if taxes were levied I think most addicted people will pay just about anything to get their fix. Withdrawal sucks.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

But you have the freedom of choice to not buy the product being advertised.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

who is responsible? the person who drinks it is.
in my opinion if you agree the alcohol companies and makers are responsible for people becoming addicted,,, is the same thing as.......

i am innocent of my speeding ticket because Ford motor company made a car that went faster than the speed limit. they should have not did that. they knew this, go arrest the CEO, and the engineers of the ford mustang, its there fault

i am innocent of murder cause the gun company knew a gun can kill some one with there product, i did not know it would do that, HONEST!

i am not responsible for my failing health cause my drug dealer did not tell me heroin can damage to my body and destroy my life, i am going to sue him for one hundred million dollars!

i am sorry to day. this is all personal responsibility. i yea we might have reasons to start it, but we can have just as many reasons to stop it. i think until you take complete personal responsibility for your addiction,, you might not completely become sober.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

NOPE.

The same person that decides to buy:

Food
Water
Shelter
Medicine
Entertainment
Etc, etc, etc........

Is the same person that DECIDES to buy alcohol.... Own your own body of work. Don't look for reasons why. Those reasons are past tense to begin with.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The individual who pours alcohol in his mouth is the one responsible for that action.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Absolutely no...and that is a very slippery slope
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Only I am responsible.

I know that if I stick a pool cue in my eye it will hurt, whether or not there's a "disclaimer" on the pool cue.

It's not anyone else's fault or responsibility if I decide to stick it in my eye anyway.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Is alcohol a drug? I think we all believe this to be true.

Is alcohol addictive? By our own experience we have shown this to be true.

So by the logic of most of the posters here who disagree with me, if these facts are true, then the people who are out selling the stuff to anyone and everyone without restraint (and this includes your kids...who do you think "alco-pops" were designed for and are marketed to?) bear no responsibility whatsoever, just as heroin dealers bear no responsibility to the dumb junkies who get hooked on the stuff. Hey, everyone's got to make a living.

I see a bigger picture here. We have the responsibility to stay away from substances that we cannot safely use, and those producing those substances have the responsibility to recognize the addictive nature of their products and sell responsibly (and I'm not talking about the standards that they are held to by the government). The truth is that if they had no restrictions governing age requirements, advertising times, etc...then the greedy corporate bigwigs in charge would be marketing vodka to babies if it would make a buck.

Somewhere within the billions and billions of dollars that are generated by alcohol sales annually, there should be funds designated for the treatment of people who become addicted to their products. That's all I'm saying. I stopped on my own, but as we have all seen, sometimes people become so physically and psychologically addicted that the only outcome is death.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post

Somewhere within the billions and billions of dollars that are generated by alcohol sales annually, there should be funds designated for the treatment of people who become addicted to their products. That's all I'm saying. I stopped on my own, but as we have all seen, sometimes people become so physically and psychologically addicted that the only outcome is death.
I disagree. i also stopped on my own. i accepted responsibility for my drinking and all the things i did while i was drunk. i put the alcohol in my mouth no alcohol companies forced me to drink it. i do not blame them for my addiction.

As my example above; i think all car makers should have a funds set aside so if i get a speeding ticket in a car that goes faster than the speed limit or i get in a auto accident compensate me with money. or the criminal in prison stating that he is not responsible for a murder because the gun maker of the gun he used to kill some one was designed my a gun company to kill some one. so it is not my fault for murder,, arrest the CEO