Notices

Who is Responsible?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is alcohol a drug? I think we all believe this to be true.

Is alcohol addictive? By our own experience we have shown this to be true.
I think you'll find dissenters on both statements, to be honest

D
Old 10-22-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
Is alcohol a drug? I think we all believe this to be true.

Is alcohol addictive? By our own experience we have shown this to be true.

So by the logic of most of the posters here who disagree with me, if these facts are true, then the people who are out selling the stuff to anyone and everyone without restraint (and this includes your kids...who do you think "alco-pops" were designed for and are marketed to?) bear no responsibility whatsoever, just as heroin dealers bear no responsibility to the dumb junkies who get hooked on the stuff. Hey, everyone's got to make a living.

I see a bigger picture here. We have the responsibility to stay away from substances that we cannot safely use, and those producing those substances have the responsibility to recognize the addictive nature of their products and sell responsibly (and I'm not talking about the standards that they are held to by the government). The truth is that if they had no restrictions governing age requirements, advertising times, etc...then the greedy corporate bigwigs in charge would be marketing vodka to babies if it would make a buck.

Somewhere within the billions and billions of dollars that are generated by alcohol sales annually, there should be funds designated for the treatment of people who become addicted to their products. That's all I'm saying. I stopped on my own, but as we have all seen, sometimes people become so physically and psychologically addicted that the only outcome is death.
Typically people do not use heroine recreationaly. People don't go out to dinner and just inject a little bit to have with a meal.

While I can see some merit, comparing heroine dealers to booze distributers is apples and oranges
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It is an issue of supply and demand. It's not the alcohol companies' "fault" they sell so much alcohol. They are simply meeting the demand of the public. Sure advertising affects this, but I would guess advertising has more of an impact on an individual brand's sales, rather than overall consumption.

Prohibition proved that people are going to drink whether it's legal or not. At least the government can regulate it if it's legal. It's pretty much the same argument used for legalizing pot.

Also, alcohol already is taxed and I would suspect some of this money is used for state- run treatment centers. State governments are always clamoring to raise sin taxes on alcohol, tobacco, etc.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"He who has the gold, makes the rules". There is just way too much money and power in the alcohol industry. It will always be here any any taxes added just get passed on to the people, it costs the industry nothing. You could argue that making the price so high with taxes it would deter a lot of people, that's probably true. Many people quit cigarettes because of the high prices.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Anyone interested in a good movie about Prohibition, check out "Lawless" with Shia Lebouf ( sp?).
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you are going to ask me, the one who is responsible is the person who is addicted to alcohol. I am not saying that drinking is bad but drinking too much is really bad. That is why alcohol companies always remind us to drink moderately.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by happybeingme View Post
...I do think it would be nice if states instituted "punishment taxes" on alcohol like they do with tobacco products
IMO "collateral damage taxes" would be more appropriate. If alcohol and tobacco taxes paid for all of my health insurance, I would thank those who smoked and drank for it.

I would however, say it with a hint of sarcasm. i.e. "Thank God for unhealthy people like you who pay for healthy people like me."
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Contentious topic, always bound to raise passionate debate, especially among us here.

I don't want to inflame things, so I'll just say, when it comes to this disease, blame is totally unhealthy for everyone involved.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just ask my XAH, he has all the answers

According to him, I am responsible for every drink he drinks, every job he loses, every DUI he gets and every unpaid bill he racks up. Even though we are essentially no contact for more than one year (except for the kids), I am still magically able to make him drink. I am also responsible for: his new found peptic ulcer, his chronic ill-health (AKA hangovers) and his unhappiness with his life.

I am an evil witch who uses sneaky, magical sorcery. My sneaky, magical sorcery is available free for anyone else who wants to blame me for their life's woes. No need to ask, just assign the blame to me. I am THAT powerful
Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

it's beyond ridicules to blame anyone and advertising for what i chose to drink, eat and inhale.
i'm an adult ( for the most part) and knew exactly what i was doing...
you need to accept responsibility for your own actions.
of course if i had KNOWN, lulu did this with her special powers.......
Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
.(It's Miller Time...friends and bonfires and burgers and the beach!), wine (beautiful people sipping jewel toned elixer in the glow of the setting California Sun!) Vodka (drink this on the rocks and you, too will be popular and sexy and the object of adoration!). What if the ads were selling heroin, crack, methamphetamines?
I'm sure the advertising agencies would find a way to make taking these poisons look glamorous, fun and hip too. I've often thought if they wanted to make a realistic commercial for, say vodka, they should use me; falling, slurring, laying on the floor in a pool of vomit. It probably wouldn't sell too much vodka though.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

At various points in my life I have lived in some pretty funky neighborhoods, some "food desert" type places where the pure capitalism of alcohol sales is laid bare. The irony of the malt liquor and fortified wine advertising/promotion dreams compared to the urban hell reality is so heavy that no one seems to notice it. What a difficult environment to live in, never mind raise a family.

Selling alcohol to alcoholics has to be up there in the top ten oldest professions. Who's responsible seems like a chicken or the egg question.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu39 View Post
Just ask my XAH, he has all the answers

According to him, I am responsible for every drink he drinks, every job he loses, every DUI he gets and every unpaid bill he racks up. Even though we are essentially no contact for more than one year (except for the kids), I am still magically able to make him drink. I am also responsible for: his new found peptic ulcer, his chronic ill-health (AKA hangovers) and his unhappiness with his life.

I am an evil witch who uses sneaky, magical sorcery. My sneaky, magical sorcery is available free for anyone else who wants to blame me for their life's woes. No need to ask, just assign the blame to me. I am THAT powerful
Wowza! Can you direct this towards anyone you choose? If so, what do you charge per hour?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I don't blame anyone even me. If my upbringing had been a little less painful, it may not have happened but I can never be sure of that. My parents didn't set out to hurt me deliberately either, they weren't evil. I was just too sensitive to stuff so it was just unfortunate. But I lay no blame at any door. Just one of those things.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

There is huge difference between the Scandinavians countries regarding how available alcohol is to buy, how old you should be and whether it is legal to advertise for alcohol. These differences are reflected in the consumption. I think it is sensible with some regulation on this.

I have been in countries where alcohol is forbidden I do not see that as an solution. Countries that do not allow people to make bad chooses are unpleasant to be in – as I see it.

Bad decisions have a cost – but denying us that freedom does have a bigger cost.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu39 View Post
Hey Lulu,
Thanks a lot for making my backdoor knob break, causing me all kinds of petty and annoying incovenience.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

No one filled the glass, jammed our mouths open, and poured it in when we first started drinking (at least I hope not).

However, what's too bad is that we can't be supplied a crystal ball that allows us to see into the future when we take that first drink. You have no way of knowing when you start drinking as to where it's going to lead you.

So I don't think it's our fault even though we were the ones who tipped the glasses. We had no way to make an informed decision at that time.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Blame is kinda what's wrong with the world. Fix it, learn from it, move on. Those who won't participate in that process are kindly asked to find another world...
Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Wowza! Can you direct this towards anyone you choose? If so, what do you charge per hour?
I'm pretty cheap really. All I need is a soul stopped up in a bottle.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)