Notices

Feel Good Factors

Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel Good Factors

This thread must have been done before, but after 5 weeks of soberiety I feel like being happy and it makes me feel good that I lost 3 kg, have saved something like £500-600 ($750) of cash and i'm able to do some exercises, run around with my kid and have none of the acid-reflux or insomnia I suffer when drinking.

Also, none of that horrible guilt I tend to wake up with, because im afraid ive done something stupid.

But, what makes you feel good about your sobriety? Money, health, freedom?

If not sober yet, why do you want to be sober and what do you look forwards to?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post

But, what makes you feel good about your sobriety? Money, health, freedom?
Sometimes I feel good for the wrong reasons - that's still good.

Sometimes I feel good for the right reasons - that's even better.

Sometimes I feel good for no reason at all - that's when it's best.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Been sober 82 days today after 25 years of alcohol abuse.

I do feel healthy and happy and try to dwell on the good things about being sober.

But here it is the start of another weekend. For as long as I can remember getting off work on Friday meant going to a bar or doing something fun that included cutting loose and getting loaded.

Now I am sitting here thinking "who cares if its the weekend"?

I don't know, I love sobriety but I do miss the fun parts about drinking. Sure, I can go to a bar and suck on a soft drink. Sure, I can do just about everything sober like I did when I was drunk but it wouldn't be any fun really.

I guess I just really long for the days when I was young and free to do what I wanted. Now it is all about my health and doing things right if I want to live.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by doniker View Post
Been sober 82 days today after 25 years of alcohol abuse.

I do feel healthy and happy and try to dwell on the good things about being sober.

But here it is the start of another weekend. For as long as I can remember getting off work on Friday meant going to a bar or doing something fun that included cutting loose and getting loaded.

Now I am sitting here thinking "who cares if its the weekend"?

I don't know, I love sobriety but I do miss the fun parts about drinking. Sure, I can go to a bar and suck on a soft drink. Sure, I can do just about everything sober like I did when I was drunk but it wouldn't be any fun really.

I guess I just really long for the days when I was young and free to do what I wanted. Now it is all about my health and doing things right if I want to live.
"You can live to be a hundred if you're willing to give up everything that makes you want to live to be a hundred." -- Woody Allen
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I sleep a lot better now and I am much clearer in the head when I wake up.

I am not as fit as I was 8 years ago, I am also older – but it has improved a lot the last 7 weeks. I will slowly work on that on see where it takes me.

There is a better mood in the home, I have better presence and the discussion with the boys are more meaningful. That has been nice that it was not all to late to improve that.

I have much more energy and humor at work, I get more done more easy – and I take it a little less seriously.

I have stopped smoking – and I do miss the cigarettes still, I would be lying if I said I was not – that has not been so long, that will improve. Alcohol, I do not miss it or think about it. I want to stay focused on what I am doing and call in on the 24 hours thread for a long time– but it is seldom I think about alcohol.

I can a time get very blue so to speak – it has been a couple of weeks since I had some of these days. I will go through these days again, but I will handle them better sober than drunk.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

soldier on without the nicotine. i couldnt get past 2 hours before i quit, now im 20 months on and feel great to have freed myself from that torture.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been sober 82 days today after 25 years of alcohol abuse.........

...... I guess I just really long for the days when I was young and free to do what I wanted. Now it is all about my health and doing things right if I want to live.
For me, the reality is, that at weekends (or any night) I would sit at a bar alone, drinking, fooling around with my phone, trying to think of someone to call or text, like some lonesome loser.

The reality is that this kind of night was me reliving my nostalgia, going out, to a bar for *fun*. So much fun that I would never go out with anyone, and anyway, ive alienated or ive turned my back on most of my acquaintances.

I dunno, maybe you really were having fun after 25 years, but im about at the same point in my drinking career and can say it aint that much fun anymore...
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

25 years ago when I started drinking everyday it was fun. That fun lasted for many years. But as I got older, had more responsibilities and my body aged the fun times became few. But I continued on with my daily drinking out of habit because it was what I did. I was a drinker.

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
For me, the reality is, that at weekends (or any night) I would sit at a bar alone, drinking, fooling around with my phone, trying to think of someone to call or text, like some lonesome loser.

When I started going to bars 25 years ago the main reason was to try to pick up women. 19 years ago after I met my wife I started to go to the bars less.
As the years went on I could never sit in a bar alone anymore.

My wife still enjoys going to bars and often wanted me to go with her. But I figured what is the point? I am not going to pick up women and why pay all that money for drinks to sit and talk to my wife and drink in a bar? I could do the same at home cheaper and not worry about drunk driving.

I am 50 years old and the bar scene is for kids. But my 50 year old wife will never believe that. She is out at a bar right now as I type this.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

When I started going to bars 25 years ago the main reason was to try to pick up women. 19 years ago after I met my wife I started to go to the bars less.
As the years went on I could never sit in a bar alone anymore.

My wife still enjoys going to bars and often wanted me to go with her. But I figured what is the point? I am not going to pick up women and why pay all that money for drinks to sit and talk to my wife and drink in a bar? I could do the same at home cheaper and not worry about drunk driving.

I am 50 years old and the bar scene is for kids. But my 50 year old wife will never believe that. She is out at a bar right now as I type this.
Wow.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

i am 50 years old and the bar scene is for kids. But my 50 year old wife will never believe that. She is out at a bar right now as i type this.
securedownload (1).jpg
Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Feeling better physically, not having hangovers, eating better, sleeping--that stuff continues to feel good, even after two years.

What really feels good today is knowing that I like myself and my life. At a certain point, a few months ago, I started to feel my arrested development break loose, like an old mill that gets restarted after years of inactivity. I wasn't sure what was going to happen.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
??? Don't understand how this relates.