Notices

Sam-E for moods

Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sam-E for moods

Has anyone ever tried taking Sam-E? This can be found at most vitamin shops and pharmacy's. I started taking it for joint soreness but read that it is also good for your mood. I have been taking it for about 10 days and my knees feel better, and I have a more positive outlook. I have been sober for close to 7 weeks after drinking for years.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on seven weeks.

I replaced drinking with not drinking and my moods improved greatly. I found removing alcohol was all the supplement I needed.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

to answer your question,
yes, I take 400mg, first thing in the AM, sometimes in the winter, i will take an extra dosage, I've been taking it for years along with 1 SJWort. I do notice when I run out of it, at one time I thought i was wasting my $$ as it's expensive. (on sale now at Costco and drugstoredotcom, I think the best one is "doctorsbest" brand). I've previously been on 3 different prescription anti-depressants, but the side effects were not agreeing with me.

Alcohol exacerbated my depression greatly, it also screws up a logical thought process and brought me worse insomnia.
..the double-whammy was menopause.
Sam-e and regular exercise help a lot with my sobriety
Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Alcohol exacerbated my depression greatly, it also screws up a logical thought process and brought me worse insomnia.
..the double-whammy was menopause.
You're speaking right to my heart, Fandy!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks doggonecarl, I too have found many things changed simply by stopping drinking, but my knee pain stayed. So far Sam-E is working.

I thought I had food allergies because every time I ate my stomach would bother me and I had an irritable bowel most days. What a miracle, I stopped drinking and now I can eat anything. I was also filled with anxiety and now that is gone. Believe it or not I had varicose veins around my lower legs which have improved immensely. Amazing what bad things alcohol does to your body. My mind is a lot sharper as well.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I once went to a presentation regarding psychotropic medications. It was stated that clinical studies showed the effectiveness of both sam-e and St. Johns Wart for depression. (I would like to read the studies if anyone knows where to find them please let me know).

I take the St. Johns wart and it helps enormously. I never heard of the joint improvement with sam-e. Thanks