Notices

Day 72

Old 10-08-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 72

It has been 72 days since I had a drink (and 2 weeks since I started to taper off Zoloft - I am off it completely now) and I mentally and physically feel GREAT!!

The only downside to this is I feel so good I want to have a drink to celebrate!! I even had dreams about drinking the last two nights and last night I swear I could even taste the beer in my dream.

I am not going to pick up a drink anytime soon and hopefully never again. It is just that I am remembering the good things about drinking instead of the hangovers, anxiety, debt, high blood pressure, etc. etc.

I long to be a normal person who could have a beer with a friend or a glass of wine with dinner without wanting to get S***faced after that first drink.

I really just wish I could get booze off my mind!!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams are pretty normal. The urge to drink will die down and leave, it did for me. I always tended to crave more when I felt happy, like celebrating too!!

Congrats on 72 days. Keep it up!!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doniker View Post

I long to be a normal person who could have a beer with a friend or a glass of wine with dinner without wanting to get S***faced after that first drink.
Friend-

One of first things I needed to wrap my sober mind around was the fact that "normal" people don't drink at all! People like you and I were the exceptions, not the rule. As for getting booze off your mind, what kinds of positive things are you purposely implementing in your life to achieve that goal?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Friend-

One of first things I needed to wrap my sober mind around was the fact that "normal" people don't drink at all! People like you and I were the exceptions, not the rule. As for getting booze off your mind, what kinds of positive things are you purposely implementing in your life to achieve that goal?
I think people can be normal drinkers. If someone has a drink or two once or twice a month that is a normal drinker in my opinion.

I am trying hard to occupy myself with other positive things to take my mind off drinking. I am not sure if you read any of my other posts but I was a daily drinker for 25 years - the last 19 years with my wife (who is still a daily drinker).

As I type this my wife is in the other room - intoxicated. 3 months ago I would have been right there loaded with here. Alcohol is still a big part of my daily life - even though I haven't injested any over the last 72 days.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is just that I am remembering the good things about drinking instead of the hangovers, anxiety, debt, high blood pressure, etc. etc.
Well done on 72 days. I'm at day 67 and I take a little time each day to remember some of the really bad stuff that happened when I drank. If I don't force myself to remember the bad stuff, I tend to romanticize the good times I had while drinking. As someone else pointed out in another thread, overall, the net result of my drinking was a whole of pain and anguish.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think people can be normal drinkers. If someone has a drink or two once or twice a month that is a normal drinker in my opinion.

I am trying hard to occupy myself with other positive things to take my mind off drinking. I am not sure if you read any of my other posts but I was a daily drinker for 25 years - the last 19 years with my wife (who is still a daily drinker).

As I type this my wife is in the other room - intoxicated. 3 months ago I would have been right there loaded with here. Alcohol is still a big part of my daily life - even though I haven't injested any over the last 72 days.
Friend-

I think people can be normal drinkers too. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them. Nor do I want to be. I drank to get drunk. I smoked dope to get high.

Otherwise, what's the point?

The most important thing you can do for yourself at this point in time is to be brutally honest with yourself. You stopped drinking for a reason. Think long and hard about that reason. I do all the time. And it's still stronger than the urge to drink.

As for your Wife, I would say you have power over your mind, not over other people. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good going Doniker! Over 40 days here and I don't seem to troubled by thoughts of booze. Certainly no serious desire to drink!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It has been 72 days since I had a drink (and 2 weeks since I started to taper off Zoloft - I am off it completely now) and I mentally and physically feel GREAT!!

The only downside to this is I feel so good I want to have a drink to celebrate!! I even had dreams about drinking the last two nights and last night I swear I could even taste the beer in my dream.

I am not going to pick up a drink anytime soon and hopefully never again. It is just that I am remembering the good things about drinking instead of the hangovers, anxiety, debt, high blood pressure, etc. etc.

I really just wish I could get booze off my mind!!
Really nice post. For me that cuts into the very problem that I experience each time I quit, somewhere around the 2-3 month mark.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not sure if you read any of my other posts but I was a daily drinker for 25 years - the last 19 years with my wife (who is still a daily drinker).

Well it's day 73 sober for me and it's yet another night in my room alone while my wife gets drunk and obnoxious in another part of the house - just like yesterday and the 71 days before.

Hopefully someday things will change.

Friday is our wedding anniversary - surely she will be loaded. Yippee.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
w2r

Hi!
I'm in a similar situation. I started in the middle of august, but I am only at day 17 now.
How much does she drink?? How obnoxious does she get drinking??

I'm worried about the long term for myself. I'm really hoping that my AW will start to consider sobriety. She is an intelligent lady.
I've been expressing concern about drinking for a long time. But since I started quitting, the subject has not been completely avoided.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by w2r View Post
How much does she drink?? .
Depends on the day. She will have at least a few drinks everyday, 3 - 4 nights a week she will get drunk.

How obnoxious does she get drinking??.
This also depends. She will start babbling about crap that is unrealistic or just constantly talk when trying to watch a movie. We all know the type.

I'm worried about the long term for myself. I'm really hoping that my AW will start to consider sobriety. She is an intelligent lady. .
My wife is very intelligent as well. But her thing is that she works hard so she deserves to be able to play hard. She also believes that alcohol relaxes her and makes her more creative.

I've been expressing concern about drinking for a long time. But since I started quitting, the subject has not been completely avoided.
If I bring up my concerns about her drinking she gets pissed off. Yesterday I found out she had vodka hidden. I thought she was too loaded after just 4 beers. If drinking is good why is she hiding it?
I used to hide booze because I was selfish and didn't want to share - but she knows I am not drinking.