Notices

Dodged a Bullet... No club/bar

Old 09-29-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dodged a Bullet... No club/bar

Tonight I dodged a bullet and realized that I may never be okay with clubbing/partying at places where liquor fuels the event.

I am 77 days sober and a friend invited my boyfriend and I to her birthday celebration at this really swanky club. Having avoided all bars/club type situations since I began my sober journey, I foolishly accepted the invitation thinking that I would be able to handle it. I was wrong.

All day today all I could think about was how I would handle it. Then I switched over into thinking about how it may not hurt to have *one* small drinks and moderate (yeah right). Even these thoughts were tainted with guilt, and I had a horrible time even leading up to getting to the club.

Luck would have it that they had a super strict dress code at the door, so my boyfriend couldn't get in because his shoes were a bit too casual. This seemed bad, and I do feel bad about not having attended our friend's party, but all of my anxiety immediately left after getting back in the car, and I'm SO happy to just be at home, comfortable, sober, with no regrets, and I look at my phone and it says "77 days since I last had a drink" and I am so proud!

Sometimes the most difficult decisions are the only right ones, and this was my first and last test. I am drawing a VERY tight boundary here. Absolutely no clubbing/barring/attending any type of event that is fueled by alcohol. I'm so glad that I didn't ruin this. Definitely dodged a bullet tonight.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ClassiFemme,

Congratulations on your sobriety so far
Old 09-29-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's good that you recognized it was a trigger situation.The shoes- that's good -everything happens for a reason.

I'm 9and half months sober now and don't want to go to bars/clubs.If everyone around me is drinking and in a drinking environment I'm just not interested. There are other things I'd rather do. Maybe call your friend and suggest you take her for lunch

Congrats on your 77 days
Old 09-29-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 77 days!

From the time I began this journey I feel people, situations and lessons have been placed in my path. Every time I needed one, there is was. I used to doubt them as a coincidence.

But now they have happened so often I can't help to think something is watching over me.

Last night I had another one. I had created a fire pit to burn some branches from a tree trim last year. I made it during the day and invited a friend up the street to come over. I also thought I would hear from another friend yesterday. The one never showed and the other did not call. So here I was sitting in front of my pit with a nice fire and I was all alone. At first it was not bad, I read but then it got dark. So I sat for another hour while my pity party had a blast.

I gave up and went inside. I started watching a movie and I started to cry. Poor me. I was all alone, no friends, no companionship. Just me, my dog and my cat.

Then my phone rang. It was a friend from AA checking up on me. He had not seen me the last two nights and wanted to make sure I was okay. He also wanted to know if I was going to an AA Anniversary meeting that is today. We chatted for 20 minutes or so.

I felt 100% better and not because I got the attention I wanted but because I am not as alone as I thought I was and it made me realize that the person up the street and the person I expected to call are not what I needed, it was the person that called, that type of friendship, that is were I need to put my energy and stop wasting it on a pity party.

So I got a lesson on where I need to put forth my efforts. It still amazes me that today that not only am I grateful for the lessons I receive but that I learn from them.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats!

I have five months and absolutely avoid situations like this! It may be tough to turn down invitations, but it will be worth it in the long run!