Notices

Over a Year Free From Alcohol

Old 09-24-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Over a Year Free From Alcohol

Hi there. I know I haven't been around a lot or added anything of value to the forums here, but I would just like to tell someone, anyone, that I have been Clean from alcohol for a little over a year. I last drank alcohol on September 11th, 2012. I was a pretty involved drinker for 7 years and it was a real challenge to try to quit. I tried for years on my own, without success really. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but all this time I have felt like going through this process was like "why didn't I just do this all along?" admittedly I do think addiction is a really hard thing to overcome, but anyways. not to get hung up on the "Why?" I'm just proud of myself. I overcame this monster alone, without anyones help.

I suspect I'll never drink again. infact I get some pretty serious anxiety even thinking about being drunk and I guess there can be worse things in life. Something that has helped me in my recovery is to know that in life there are no wrong answers, so finding the ones that work for you will usually make your journey here on earth a lot better.

Thank you for reading my story, and have a nice day.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

You sound like me. I showed up here after 1 year of sobriety on my own as well. and like you it was the hardest dang thing I've ever done in my life as well. Many here recomended I go to AA I never wanted to go that whole thing wasnt for me I thought. I ended up going after folks here pressed it. I went a bunch of times and haven been back in about a year now just havent had the time. Point is I should have gone to AA sooner. Its also a pretty awesome feeling when a room full of people cheer you on on 1 year of sobriety etc.. makes it feel even more worth it even if they are a bunch of strangers.

And congrats on the 1 YEAR!! Its an awesome feeling isnt it? just gets better too.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
You sound like me. I showed up here after 1 year of sobriety on my own as well. and like you it was the hardest dang thing I've ever done in my life as well. Many here recomended I go to AA I never wanted to go that whole thing wasnt for me I thought. I ended up going after folks here pressed it. I went a bunch of times and haven been back in about a year now just havent had the time. Point is I should have gone to AA sooner. Its also a pretty awesome feeling when a room full of people cheer you on on 1 year of sobriety etc.. makes it feel even more worth it even if they are a bunch of strangers.

And congrats on the 1 YEAR!! Its an awesome feeling isnt it? just gets better too.
Hello there, yeah I don't know why I showed up. Lol, In my recovery I had to get offline as much as possible because one of my things was to get wasted and then subsequently get online. so, I try to stay offline as much as possible. and besides I like to remain busy to keep my mind occupied so it isn't thinking of devious things. I never went to AA or any support groups, mostly because I'm just such a silly person to begin with and really I couldn't sit in a circle and tell my life story. I'd probably bust out laughing, anyways. I was told by a doctor to quit so I took it seriously, developed a plan and then executed it. I just had to make the tough choices, as I couldn't find any magic pill to overcome my situation. And yes, it feels wonderful alcohol free! :^)

Other than that thank you everybody.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done Tourmaline

D
Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year Tourmaline. And thank you for the inspiration.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much you guys and girls. means a lot to know other people care
Old 09-24-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome Tourmalint, its kind of cool to not need to change the way you feel with alcohol.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hay congrats, november will be my one year date. !
Old 09-24-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Keep goin...

Last edited by cardoon; 09-24-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
I was told by a doctor to quit so I took it seriously, developed a plan and then executed it. I just had to make the tough choices, as I couldn't find any magic pill to overcome my situation. And yes, it feels wonderful alcohol free! :^)
Tourmaline, congratulations to you. Most folks quit their drinking exactly this way - they made a decision, developed a plan, and then never looked back. I wish more folks like you would drop in and make that post just as you have done. These forums would be much different if we could select members who have found success! I know, it's tough being busy and all.

I hope you can take some time and drop in once in a while to deliver this message. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday to You ! Bobbi
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats and thanks for posting, Tourmaline. You're right to be proud. Putting away an addiction is an incredible challenge and your doing it.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done, that's brilliant. Just passed a year as well the other day. I have to ask, if there any significance with the date, which is a very significant anniversary date for many of us?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations tourmaline. Reading your post has put a smile on my face this morning!!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats! One year is HUGE
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. No, there is no Significance to the date it just happened to coincide with 9/11. I didn't pick it, What happened was that particular time I had a medical emergency that day but waited till the next to go to the Emergency room. there I was told quit or else

I'll try to pop in from time to time, but I do like being busy.
I would just suggest to anyone trying to stop any addiction really is to find the answers that work for you. If that's AA, do it. If its going to church, do that. If its doing it all alone then please by all means

I think part of the problem with any addiction really is its a very personal ordeal. so one answer will not fit all people

thanks again everybody and enjoy the rest of your day.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awesome job! Thank you so much for sharing your story and CONGRATULATIONS! I was using for 10 years and I know it had to take nothing short of a miracle for me to say I'm sober 1 year.
ONE DAY AT A TIME