Notices

Drinking heavily, menstrual period concern

Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking heavily, menstrual period concern

I'm getting kind of freaked out....

Okay I've been binging.... I had a regular period July 17th, a real light one August 8th, a normal one Sept. 7th, and am now spotting again. Yes, I've been drinking frequently as of late.... could this be because alcohol thins the blood?? I shouldn't have my period now, and it doesn't feel like one... but blood is coming out spotty.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best thing would be to see a doctor.

Alcohol wreaks havoc on your entire system...

Have you thought about quitting? Have a plan?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a woman so I have no idea, personally.
evidence suggests there can be causal factors tho:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-t...-reproduction/

but if you're concerned it's probably best to see a Dr smalltowngirl - it might be related to alcohol but it could be many other things too?

D
Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have no plan. My life is a wreck right now.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smalltowngirl View Post
Mine was pretty messed up but I made a plan. If you wanna quit detox then rehab or some support after is the way to go.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please get a plan. The first step is to stop drinking. If you suffer from withdrawal symptoms you may need medical assistance to detox. Then AA, Smart, Women for Sobriety or other support groups are out there.

Personally I use AA and this website.

On the period issue you might go to the women's only forum and ask this, you might get more response there.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

What about checking out a few recovery programmes?

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I asked my girlfriend who is an MA (medical assistant) and she said it is a possibility, but could also be a symptom of other issues, and to get to a doctor to have testing done if it is possible for you to do so.

I also agree with Dee above, I'd reach out to others both here on the board and in your area about quitting and getting help in doing so. I don't know about you, but I don't need help to quit. I need help to stay quit. That's one of the reasons I am here

If you think that alcohol is causing problems, then maybe the alcohol itself is a problem and it's time to put the bottle down, atleast until you have a clear picture of any damage that might be done.

I wish you the best,
Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

smalltowngirl,

go to a doc and get the irregularity checked out if it continues.

here's what i DO know about a relationship between drinking and menstruation, in very simplified terms: the thickness of the lining in the uterus is determined by the amount of estrogen in your body. excess estrogen is gotten rid of by the liver. if your liver is not functioning well, it cannot do its job, one of which is to get rid of excess estrogen...you can see the cycle.
this is just ONE way in which drinking, by messing with the liver, affects other body-systems.

being concerned about periods is one thing that can be checked out by talking with a doctor; the life that's a wreck with no plan....what are your thoughts when you see some of the plans other people here use?
anything look doable to you?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey STG,

yes it can be affected, but I would suggest getting it checked out anyway with a gynae or a dr, for peace of mind more than anything, alcohol wreaks havoc with all our body & mind let us know how you get on x
Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

That happened to me every day for over a month in my early 20's when I was drinking heavily. I've always thought it was because my hormones were all messed up from all the alcohol. Seeing a doctor is a good idea and so is making a plan to get some help. Best wishes to you.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Seeing a doctor is always a good idea however spotting in general, unless it's constant or excessive, is usually "normal." That being said, usually is not always so be careful.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It could be due to alcoholism, cysts, your life changes (some women enter peri menopause in their thirties) or nothing at all. Go to a gynecologist and please do not be embarrassed and be very honest about your drinking. Do not answer one or two glasses a day when s/he asks you tell him/her how much you drink (even better, volunteer the information). The doctor is here to help you, not judge you.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My periods changed after I quit drinking. I've had random mid-cycle spotting before while drinking. I would imagine that alcohol could have an effect on your cycle - but I'm not an expert. I remember a while back you posted that you were interested in checking out AA. Have you been to any meetings? What about calling your local intergroup number if you're anxious about it?