Notices

Ribbons for Alcoholism Awareness?

Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ribbons for Alcoholism Awareness?

Seeing all the preparations for October breast cancer awareness made me wonder: Do you ever think we'll get to the point where alcoholism is understood as a condition from which people suffer? or do you think it will always have a moral overlay?

I have read that TB once was understood as a moral failing and now is clearly understood differently.

Another way of asking my question is this: In 25 years, how do you think we'll understand alcoholism?

And would walks and ribbons etc. matter to your sobriety?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Wow, nice idea. I never really considered this, but I don't personally use the term disease or illness in regards to my alcoholism.

I don't disagree or take offense to that term, it just isn't the term I use and I don't know enough about the in's and out's of what constitutes disease to know if it fits.

Either way, I think it is a good idea. Awareness does help people seek help for themselves if they have the illness...or find out they have the symptoms, and helps others understand the illness. It might encourage some people who are sitting on the fence that it is OK, a GOOD thing to admit they need help and seek it, seeing that recovery is possible.

Only thing is that by this time the "ribbon" thing is SO pervasive that I admit my brain is overwhelmed and has gotten where it doesn't pay much attention. Every week someone is posting a new "awareness" ribbon on my FB page.

Breast Cancer awareness has moved way beyond just ribbons and the "pink" association is pervasive enough in society, and has been embraced by media etc so it still stands out. But I can't tell you what color the autism awareness ribbon is...and I have a son with autism.

I can't see our current society putting quarters in a jar to help fight alcoholism and for alcoholism cure research though. Or walking in walk a thons and marathons...still, awareness that recovery is possible and nothing to be ashamed of is a good end!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Turns out there IS an alcoholism awareness month. I had no idea:

Awareness Months
Old 09-21-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

lol you were not aware

I don't think awareness months are all they're cracked up to be
Old 09-21-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol awareness? what exactly are we not aware of? Are there grown people these days that don't know what alcohol is?
Old 09-21-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea. Especially the 'dry athlete' thing people sometimes do for sponsorship in the UK. The thing I think will be difficult is raising any funds to support anything like this. I know some of the UK based charities have difficulties because no one wants to give money to help out a load of drunk people, it's just not seen as a charitable cause. And we're back at the moral failing argument...
Old 09-21-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think that people actively pursue breast cancer. There is not much you can do to contract this other than your genetics? (i'm not sure about this though, so don't quote me)

I consider alcoholism an addiction that people are aware of, do A and you have a good chance of getting B, which has a greater chance of letting you contract C.

apples to oranges.

you cannot put alcoholism in the same class as cancer...unless of course we start discussing how many people smoke or chew tobacco knowing full well the consequences of contracting lung and throat, parotid cancer....have COPD and still insist on smoking.

be glad that you are aware of the dangers of alcohol and set a good example maybe?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think something of this sort could be enormously helpful. I believe what is needed is more understanding of the disorder and what can be done about it. How many times have you seen someone on here post that friends or loved ones “just don’t understand that I can’t just have one drink”. That’s because normies just don’t get it!

And, to a large extent because they don’t get it there is a moral stigma attached to alcoholism. This keeps people afraid to admit a problem and get help for it due to shame. For many alcoholics the shame itself can help to perpetuate their drinking.

Whether it’s a disease, an illness or a disorder is not the point. Like breast cancer awareness, the point is to raise awareness so that more can be done about it. Perhaps at some point enough of the stigma can be removed to save a few more lives.