Notices

new to forum on day 10

Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to forum on day 10

I have sufferd from anxiety badly for the past few years i wud struggle frew work then get home and drink 8-12 cans a nite for 4 years i did this with only the odd day a week of since qwitting drinking my anxiety has got out of controle when i fort it would get beta also does anyone else have bad balance???
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome anxiety. Congrats on 10 days. I don't suffer from severe anxiety, so I'm afraid I can't help much in that area, but I'm sure others will respond. Do you exercise at all? I know that exercise helps me when I'm stressed or agitated.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi,
For the first 10 days at least, I felt far more anxious than before I quit. I had damaged my nervous system and I was terrified of being sober.
I was prescribed sulpiride which helped. As time went on I exercised, ate better, took alot of vitamis and I felt better.
The anxiety was what I consider 'normal' by about 30 days.

everybody has a different timeline, but every day without alcohol gives your body a chance to heal

all the best and good going on your 10 days
Old 09-20-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today I am 54 days sober. Before that I was a daily drinker for 25 years. I always had slight anxiety but it got out of control about 3 years ago. The only time I could tolerate it was when I was drunk. When I was hungover it was the worst.

This website helped a lot Natural Anxiety Cure | Panic Treatment | Self Help With Anxiety Attacks and quitting alcohol has helped even more.

Good luck!!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

i quit because the anxiety and panic was out of control. it forced me to quit the panic eased up pretty quick after quiting but the anxiety cranked in over drive for months. and I had nothing to ease it. I tried herbal teas and such it helped me. I tried vitamins various other supplements some stuff worked some stuff didnt. over time things got easier about 7 months in I started exercising this gave me an outlet for my frustrations and the anxiety got even better.

I'm not entirely sure the point that it got tolerable. I suppose at one point when i started taking something for depression i noticed relief from the anxiety as well.

It does get better tho stay the course eat good and healthy and exercise. exercise can be a simple 10 min walk whenever you feel anxious if your anything like me it might take quite a few of those 10 min walks! haha.

I'm over 2 years sober now. I run 40-50 miles a week and that keeps me in check. But again the other day a few hours after I ran i started feeling anxious again. So I got on my treadmill and ran 3 miles I felt great afterwards.

Just got to find something that works to help relieve it for you. In my case i prefered to stay away from perscription drugs I was worried i'd just get hooked on something else and have yet another battle on my hands.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am new here as well. I am on day one. In the past I have had several months with no drink. It needs to stop, it has gotten out of hand. I had a very successful career and although I am still employed drinking has ruined it.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found that the anxiety was really a result of all the guilt, shame and remorse from drinking.

It went away for me when I was finally able to put the bottle down.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You might have an anxiety disorder, I would talk to a doctor. I've had extremely bad anxiety in the past that I blamed mostly on drinking, but I realized by doing some research that I also have an anxiety disorder. Once I did some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, the anxiety went way down. I am definitely the most anxious when hungover though, so I have come to believe that alcohol just makes any psychological issues worse.