How do YOU define Success In Recovery?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Success? Abstinence, ridding myself of the desire to drink, control over my addiction.

Dono
Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Johnny152 View Post
A) Getting alcohol out of my body - Abstinence

B) Getting alcohol out of my life - Recovery

C) Getting alcohol out of my mind - Spiritual Awakening

Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Stopping drinking. Period.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Not always sure how to put it into words, but I live it every day!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that as long as we still crave or are bothered with the thoughts of alcoholism we are not truly successful.

I am now 54 days sober after 25 years of daily drinking and my days are still consumed with thoughts of drinking and staying sober.

The urge to have a beer after work everyday is rough as is wanting to let loose on the weekends, get wasted and forget life and it's problems.

I guess as long as it is still a struggle we are not successful.

I suppose I can compare it to when I quit cigarette smoking 20+ years ago; the first few years after I quit I thought about smoking often. Today it never crosses my mind.
Sure, alcoholism is 100 times harder to kick that tobacco in my opinion but this is just an example.

Time will tell but I may never be 100% happy with sobriety.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doniker View Post
I think that as long as we still crave or are bothered with the thoughts of alcoholism we are not truly successful.

I am now 54 days sober after 25 years of daily drinking and my days are still consumed with thoughts of drinking and staying sober.

The urge to have a beer after work everyday is rough as is wanting to let loose on the weekends, get wasted and forget life and it's problems.

I guess as long as it is still a struggle we are not successful.

I suppose I can compare it to when I quit cigarette smoking 20+ years ago; the first few years after I quit I thought about smoking often. Today it never crosses my mind.
Sure, alcoholism is 100 times harder to kick that tobacco in my opinion but this is just an example.

Time will tell but I may never be 100% happy with sobriety.
Hey, thanks for sharing. The goals in early recovery differ slightly from stage two recovery - in the early days it is about our body getting used to not drinking - keep some hard candies in your pocket - the sugar helps trick the body into thinking we've taken a drink and can calm things down.

In time, the cravings to slow down in frequency and diminish in intensity.

Stage two is more about the living life on life's terms without drinking - like learning how to have fun sober.

It gets better and so do we.

Keep on keepin' on.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

keep some hard candies in your pocket - the sugar helps trick the body into thinking we've taken a drink and can calm things down.
Yes I have been eating a lot more chocolate and sweets then normal.

I also drink one can of Coke per day - before I got sober I hadn't touched any sodas or diet sodas in years - it was bad for my health!!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In the beginning, if you don't succumb to a craving, believe me, you just had one helluava successful day.

Today, eleven months later, I adhere to the Chuck Pagano philosophy which is "Take care of cents, and the dollars will follow." Examples would be intentionally singing positivity into my soul each and every day, setting all my clocks 10 minutes fast, making my bed after I wake up and not getting back in it until I go to bed, sending thank you cards, getting up in the middle of the night and washing dishes, doing laundry, taking out the trash, reading a book instead of watching television and basically doing away with any and all "sloppy thinking." All of this has a way of sharpening your mind which is your greatest resource.

These days I bicycle not just to the gym and back, but also more and more frequently to the grocery store, the bank, Home Depot, my son's school and anyplace else within a 5 mile radius of my home. I've learned not only how to carry everything in my backpack, but incorporate the additional weight into my workout routine. Yesterday I was paying my bills and discovered that if I had just sent everything in two days earlier, I would have saved an additional 10 dollars.

Add this all up on top of a stone cold sober body and mind and over time, a "multiplier effect" begins to take shape in that you begin to find yourself not only physically and mentally stronger, but financially with more money than you know what to do with. Thus, for the first time in my life i am giving serious consideration to using some of my excess capital to buy extra groceries and then donate that food to Gleaner's food bank. It's a place here in Indianapolis where people that are really struggling can get their food for free. Thus, throwing positive Karma back into the universe.

This is how I define success.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not drinking, then not desiring a drink, then enjoying a rich, rewarding life without alcohol.

IMO all recovery methods should lead to the same destination. Which method we use and how we get there is our choice.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

keeping my goal of sober and not drink.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In the early days just not drinking
Then not drinking and not obsessing with drinking
Then not drinking and not obsessing with drinking and living a good,positive life
Old 09-20-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today I feel like a success. I have almost two years without a drink. Day after day without a hangover and I noticed that I don't need any crutches like candy or soda anymore. I don't get cravings. I've lost weight and gained money. I feel like I have been released from arrested development. My life is definitely on a better path.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I can honestly feel and live all of the AA promises. This is my goal. That is what I pray for and that is what I work towards.

Some of them have already come true for me while others are still beyond my grasp but as long as I keep trying then I feel I will get there.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Success is in doing what you want without having to factor in alcohol as part of daily existence to remain normal.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No half measures

Enjoying life wthout alcohol
Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
Enjoying life wthout alcohol
This is it!
Old 09-20-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'd say stop drinking, staying sober, and forgetting about alcohol would be success.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Not learning to live without drinking but learning to live a life that doesn't include it at all.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

For me recovery is when the thing I was addicted to is a non issue. I'm not courting it, running from it,struggling with it, cursing it or singing it's praises cause I'm busy living.