Notices

First day sober...

Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WBA

First day sober...

I've been drinking heavy since I was about 20 years old. I'm now 33. It's cost me relationships, but never a job. Essentially I was given an ultimatum from my wife of two months (we've been together for 3 years). It's not the ultimatum that's inspiring me but it helps. I'm a binge drinker. I follow up a heavy night of drinking by going to the liquor store for 9:00AM the following morning. Tired, old script. I'm hoping to use this forum to meet like-minded people and share the trials and tribulations that come with new-found (and hopefully a LONG) life of sobriety. Thank you for reading...
Old 09-16-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome WBA!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
WBA

Thanks Jaynie -- I've been reading posts and exploring the site. I believe it's going to be exceptionally useful...
Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, WBA! When I came crawling in here I was skeptical about joining - didn't dream that I'd find so many people who understood what I was going through. Not being alone helped me so much - I could be honest and share my thoughts without being judged or lectured. Glad to have you join the family.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I highly encourage you to continue on the journey to sobriety........those of us able to walk away from the table while we still have a few chips left are truly blessed....
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Were not actually the same kind of drinker, but it's the same battle. Keep fighting and get help if you need it detox/rehab. Trust me it's worth it.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, WBA! We are here for you. Keep reading and posting, especially when you are tempted!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Let's go through this together, man! We can do it and we have each other for support. Me, like you, have lost relationships but I have never lost a job. We are the same age and probably have alot in common.

I look forward to going through through this struggle with you and everyone here. We CAN do it! We are here and that says alot - it has to.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome WBA - Glad you've joined us!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SanDog11 View Post
Let's go through this together, man! We can do it and we have each other for support. Me, like you, have lost relationships but I have never lost a job. We are the same age and probably have alot in common.

I look forward to going through through this struggle with you and everyone here. We CAN do it! We are here and that says alot - it has to.
Exactly, were all here together, fighting together.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
WBA

Thanks everyone -- I'll be using this forum on a daily basis for the foreseeable future. I look forward to it...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WBA View Post
Thanks everyone -- I'll be using this forum on a daily basis for the foreseeable future. I look forward to it...
Good to hear, being sober myself now I'll be here daily. I came here for about a week 3 months ago and left because I wasn't getting clean and knew it.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my only advice is to keep your goals small and achievable.

For me, I take "one day at a time" literally. Me drinking TODAY is off of the table. Tomorrow? Anything can happen. I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

I cannot promise I'll never drink, but I can do my damnest to not drink today.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
WBA

Originally Posted by GoodbyeJose View Post
my only advice is to keep your goals small and achievable.

For me, I take "one day at a time" literally. Me drinking TODAY is off of the table. Tomorrow? Anything can happen. I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

I cannot promise I'll never drink, but I can do my damnest to not drink today.
Sound advice. I'm on day 2. Woke up feeling rough but made it to work. Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

congrats on day 2. I was also 33 when I gave it up. Over the years my wife had made threats I didnt listen I didnt care beer would come before ANYTHING. Rather selfish of me looking back. But when i gave it up I did it for me and only me quiting had to come AHEAD of anyone and everyone and everything etc.. The rest of the reasons to quit came in addition to that (IE for my wife or for my kids etc..) Mainly i quit for me. For starters it took everything I had to do it. there was not much left of me to go around for anyone else till i got healthy. Secondly if my wife and kids are here today gone tommorrow and I'm still drinken I'm still screwed if not more so. What would motivate me to quit drinking if my wifes ultimatum failed and she walked out the door? IF my wife walked I bet I would not have quit drinking to make her happy or at least it wouldnt surprise me if I failed to quit. I would have seen that as quiting for her sake and not mine and I would have resented her for it.

Lucky for me my wife never did walk I got one amazing wife that she tolerated my crap all those years!

Be sure to do it for you then be sure your doing it for everyone elses sake. Hang in there it does get easier!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, WBA. Stay the course, win the day. You feel better as you distance yourself from alcohol.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

First two weeks are going to be very tough. Just dig in and fight.