Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

One of the pub regulars in the ICU with liver failure..

Notices

Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I've just heard news that an old acquaintance of mine who used to do my plumbing is in the ICU with liver failure. He's been a regular at the pub near my house for years and is a good family friend. I've seen in the pub many times recently (before anyone asks, yes I still go to the pub - I have a lot of friends there and only ever drink diet coke when I go) and I last saw him a week ago. He was up and about and seemed lively and chatty when I saw him but unfortunately the guy has been drinking very heavily for years and its finally caught up with him. The most startling thing is is his condition deteriorated so quickly it's been a shock to all who knew him.

I think it's a stark reminder of how far this disease can take us and how although the liver is an amazing organ, it can go wrong very quickly and can only take so much abuse... It's completely reinforced my position to remain 100% abstinent as I never want to get to that point.

I also remember another recovering alcoholic telling me that although your liver can hold out for years in some cases, the madness and despair will ruin your life too, liver failure is just the 'cherry on the cake'... As it was in this poor chaps case. He will be in my thoughts tonight and I pray he pulls through and makes the decision to get sober. Unfortunately though he's one of those guys who I think will find recovery far too difficult. Reminds me of how grateful we should be that all of us on here have at least thought about giving recovery a chance as there are a lot of alcoholics out there who simply can't live without the booze and fathom a life of sobriety ... So sad..
Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder. We are lucky to be in recovery. I'm not sure why it sticks for some but for many it does not.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wonder if he saw this coming. If he had blood tests over the years. I know some just try to forget the blood test and continue drinking
Old 09-16-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for the reminder of how quickly things can go. An acquaintance of mine ( friend of a friend ) recently passed away at 42 from liver failure directly related to drinking. His 3 school age kids and wife literally watched him die from a self-inflicted, completely preventable ailment. He was also fine up until about 4 months before he died, and knew he needed to quit, but just kept on drinking nonetheless. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, very very sad for all around.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everybody is different.

I had a friend who drank rum all day everyday for 30 years; at age 50 he ended up in the hospital with an illness and when they tested his liver it was in excellent condition.

Yet another alcoholic friend ended up with liver failure from drinking at age 28.

I drank everyday for the last 25 years and during the last few years I have had a tender dull pain in my liver area - a few weeks after I quit drinking the pain disappeared. That is one thing that keeps me sober, I was in denial about this pain for a long time.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I loved the pub and it was an alarming awakening when the first few regulars became ill. Some died; some got better but never returned; and some got better and returned to play the odds again. Through it all, I thought I was an exception and alcohol would never catch up with me. It did, though. There were good times for sure, but it would be impossible to recreate them.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had six friends die in the past two and half years from complications stemming from heavy drinking. Most were told by doctors to stop or they would wind up killing themselves, but felt invincible and did not. Then, as it became evident that they had done permanent damage to their bodies most INCREASED their alcohol intake because to them, what was the point? The damage was already done. They seemed to want to speed up the process. They've left behind children, wives and friends to grieve and wonder why. So incredibly sad. Such good people, all of them.

If I need a reminder of the ultimate price one can pay, I just think of my friends.