Notices

Need some help for recovery

Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some help for recovery

Hey everyone, first time poster here. I've been reading these forums the last couple of days and decided that I would like to share my story and start the path for becoming sober.

I am currently 24 years old and I started drinking regularly when I was a senior in high school. However, as soon as I entered college, my drinking started to increase. I would go to a lot of college parties and my weekends mostly consisted of binge drinking and being hungover all day. It seemed normal to me since everyone was doing it so I thought it was fine.

My drinking habits got worse when I turned 21. I started to go out to the bars a lot with drinking friends. There would be nights where I would black out and not even remember how I got home. There were other times where I would have a one night stand and not even wear a condom. One time I even almost got a girl pregnant and had to make her take some plan-B

This past year has been the worst yet. I noticed that my drinking habits consist of me not knowing when to stop. I have blacked out at least 20+ times now this year. I've gotten arrested and just recently got into a fender bender with someone in a parking lot at a fast food place at 2am. Luckly, the guy didn't get the police involved as I promised to pay for the damages to his car.

What I'm concerned is that I could really get a DUI next time and I won't be so lucky. I need to stop now before I do something even worse. I know its going to be a hard process to quit, but I feel I can do it.

Just wanted to vent a little bit and get this off of my chest. I will be looking into some AA meetings in my area.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear wake, welcome. I started as a bingedrinker too. Then it became nightly. The amount kept increasing. First thing is don't drive. Many here have quit. You can too. We are here for you.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Wake!

SoberRecovery has a lot of great information, and because we're open 24 / 7, it is a fine source of support. It will be great to go to an AA meeting and become involved in that program too.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Your story sounds a lot like mine when I was your age. Good for you for recognizing a problem and dealing with it head on before you suffer any major losses.

Stick around here, there is a lot to learn!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been reading here nearly everyday for a few years. It has helped me. Do whatever you think you need to do to just not drink. Make adjustments as you go. You need to relax and go with the uncomfortable feelings for a while as you adjust. Did you make a decision and stop yet?