Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Going to my first Al-Anon meeting as an AA member - what should i expect?

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am in AA and want to go to check out an Al-Anon meeting. Does many people in AA attend Al-Anon? If I am asked to share; do I answer I am Joe and am an Alcoholic? I most likely would pass on sharing but still need to understand how to introduce myself. Any thoughts on this one? thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Joe - I'm both a recovering crack addict, but am also a recovering codie (codependent). I don't currently attend AA meetings, but I still use what I learned from there (along with what I've learned here on SR).

I finally mustered the courage up to go to an al-anon meeting, and all I had to say was "I'm Amy and I'm both a recovering addict and have some serious codie issues". I will say, that prior to that (it was a small meeting - less than 10 people), I talked to a guy on the side and asked him "I'm a recovering crack addict, I've been to AA. I have several loved ones who are addicted to one thing or another, is it okay for me to be here?"

He smiled and said "welcome...my son is a crack addict (MY drug of choice) and you are most welcome here.

I was never put on the spot, but it was awesome. When something clicked with me, I spoke up. I didn't focus on my addiction, but I also didn't deny it. I DID focus more on my relationship with my loved ones who are still actively using/drinking.

FWIW, I think there are a LOT of "double winners" who are both RA's and recovering codies. Where I went, there was an AA meeting just down the hallway.

After the meeting, I got involved in the "after the meeting meeting" with some AA guys. All in all, it was a really a good experience, and though I haven't been there lately (work schedule), I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the al-anon meeting or the AA meeting there.

My suggestion is go a little early, tell them you're new and you're in recovery, but you also need help on the codie side and I'm pretty sure you'll be welcomed with open arms. If not - find another meeting.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy