Notices

need some help advice on a friend

Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need some help advice on a friend

Greetings all, new member here and I was looking at some pages about alcoholism. Ok so let me explain about the situation the friend is an ex-gf we were dating for about 3 months. Now in the beginning she told me when her daughter was born and in the hospital for a couple months she was in depress state just cut off from everyone drinking to the point of blacking out. Ok so that information was store in the back of my mind because she never took any professional help, so now getting to the break up she been drinking all day, like hard stuff pounding cocktails all day. And as the night goes on she got really emotional crying nonstop for like over an hour. Try to end the relationship too, kind of just let it go I thought she's just drunk not really thinking. So I found it odd that she was like binge drinking for 2 days straight. Now this is not frequent occurrence as far as I know I do not live with her. But for the most part it seems like she drinks a couple times a month. Well 2 days later she goes through with the break up and I wrote her a message saying I think she might need to seek some help with the way she's been acting lately. And she responded in anger like how dare you question me on my drinking. So I've thought about this more and ask a few people about it and they say to just say your concern but don't push her on it. What do you guys think? Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome hbkmad!

I think, generally speaking, your friends are right..... Most people with an alcohol problem get quite defensive when someone criticizes their drinking and other than expressing your concern, there's not much you can do.

When someone is caught in addiction, it's very difficult for them to consider stopping and they'll engage in a lot of denial/excuses for their behavior (which they know down deep is wrong). It's hard to break an addiction without help and pretty much impossible if the person isn't willing.

We have a Family/Friends of Alcoholics forum here as well. You might also want to check that out. Make yourself at home..... we're glad you're here (and I hope your ex gets the help she needs).
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Thank you artsoul, I did check out the forum you suggested and she was in a relationship with an addict for about 6 years, so I didn't realize until now how much abuse she was taking and would it be wrong to suggest she seek counseling for at least that? This just really sucks I care for her so much and I don't want to walk away but if she really does have a problem i'm going to have to