Notices

Reliance on God for Strength

Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reliance on God for Strength

The connection between my reconstruction; working the steps and reliance on God is enormous in my life. Since my self sufficiency has proven to bring me no lasting results; I really have no choice but to seek God and rely on God for my strength. I need to ask how many times did I try to either control my drinking or quit, yet the obsession remained. Drinking was the solution on how to cope with life…in both the bad times and the good times. There was always a reason to drink. What I desire the most is not to have that obsession to drink for any reason and from my experience this is not possible through techniques and will power. God knows I have tried and tried! It is only possible through the strength of a power greater than myself which means I need to surrender my will every day. What does surrendering you’re will look like?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by rowd44 View Post
What does surrendering you’re will look like?
I have done a lot of surrendering and have gotten a lot of results because of it.

I am beginning to see why Zen Masters spend so much time refraining from defining, controlling or judging anything in their lives. It is because the less attached I become to everything , the less disturbed I become at anything.

"In this life - pain is inevitable -suffering is optional".

(unknown author)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Man, I relate to your post, Rowd.

Where I'm at right now, today, is that I see my will as an unbroken mustang and even my best intentions are like a five year old kid, hanging on to that rope trying to direct that horse. Many others seem to have a handle on directing their will in a somewhat useful fashion. I am not one of those folks. At this moment, I feel rather like an expert Handler is finally on the scene and it's with relief that I turn over the rope of that crazy animal; it has dragged my $ss all over creation and I am a dirty, torn up mess. In the hands of that skilled Handler, that horse gentles and becomes useful. And all I feel is immense relief that I don't have to try to continue faking that I know anything at all about breaking a horse, all the while being dragged all over the prairie (with me trying to convince myself that no one's noticing this, heh).

Thanks for the thread - appreciate the opportunity to reflect on this.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

For me it means doing the next right thing, and not jumping ahead and focusing on what I HOPE will be the result.

I stay in contact with my HP, cultivate that relationship, and take advantage of the next opportunity to do the next right thing, and trust that I will recognize those opportunities as they arise.

That's the plan, but of course I am not so good on the follow through.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
For me it means doing the next right thing, and not jumping ahead and focusing on what I HOPE will be the result.

I stay in contact with my HP, cultivate that relationship, and take advantage of the next opportunity to do the next right thing, and trust that I will recognize those opportunities as they arise.

That's the plan, but of course I am not so good on the follow through.
Well said.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great analogy!