Notices

Probably Rhetorical Question

Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kathleen41 View Post
Medical pro's screen people using CAGE:

1. Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
2. Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
3. Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
4. Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?

Two yes' indicate a potential problem.

It took me a while to be convinced I was an alcoholic. I finished two college degrees while drinking heavily and never got into legal trouble or anything. Otherwise, I may have figured it out sooner!! I know now, non alcoholics don't think about how much they are drinking, or try to cut down or control it.

There are varying degrees of alcohol abuse and alcohol dependency. Some folks binge drink only on weekends, that is still alcoholic drinking, and potentially deadly. Other folks drink a bit more moderately, but every day. The disease is progressive in nature. Over time it gets worse if untreated, never better, and the progression continues even while we are not drinking.

It's great that you are sober for 28 days. Maybe pick up a blue Alcoholics Anonymous book and read the beginning, see what you think. Welcome to SR.

Thanks - I've read the Big Book, if that's what you are referring to. I was surprised when I went to the AA - lots of people signed their names and numbers in it and they just gave it to me. Good folks. There are a lot of great concepts and actions in the book, reading it was really cathartic. The rest is up to me.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi ck, welcome.

I think artsoul makes a valid point. If drinking is becoming a problem at times, it will tend to get worse. After all....most of us started out slowly, then one or two "why the hell did I drink too much" moments, turn into something that makes us wonder if its become a healthy relationship with alcohol.

I think getting caught up with the term alcoholic and alcoholism is not necessarily helpful. If drinking is becoming something you are concerned about, then there's no reason not to do something about it.