Notices

This time it will be different

Old 08-30-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This time it will be different

What else do you believe this silly mentality applies to in your life? For me, alcohol, gambling, food at times, even with people!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Pretty much anything to which I apply that caveat indicates something I cannot or will not change, no matter how much I'm enamored of the illusion that I'm in charge.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's silly only if you don't have a clear idea of where you are and how you want to handle things.

I'm not doing this because i like sobriety. As far as i'm concerned, all this is punishment for being a loser at life. Giving up alcohol is merely being pragmatic. The only reason to endure all the withdrawal/PAWS hassle etc is money. With a clear head and a ruthless heart, i expect to be able to function is such a way as to be able to meet some long held goals, dreams, hopes and aspirations. If not, why bother.

I've sure as hell not enjoyed life as i've experienced it one bit, drunk or sober. This time i'm going about things a LOT different than before. I will come out on top.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My mind is prone to delusional thinking at times. I put my hand on hot stoves all the time.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mick3580 View Post
My mind is prone to delusional thinking at times. I put my hand on hot stoves all the time.
Guess you ought to be used to burns by now.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post

Guess you ought to be used to burns by now.
I'm still a work in progress. The obsession to drink was removed. The obsession to gamble was removed. The obsession to smoke was removed. But, I make mistakes interpersonally at times.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by mick3580 View Post
I put my hands on hot stoves all the time to. However, I don't expect it will be different. I expect pain is a motivating force in my life. Like the bodybuilders say:

"No pain. No gain."
Old 09-01-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

In the past two years I've started to hear myself say "it's not going to be any different" in reference to 'if I do A..."

Took 40+ yrs to get there. four decades of thinking if I wore a deep enough rut the rest of the world would have NO choice but to fall in and finally do things my way. Universe is bigger and more stuck in it's ways that I thought.

Now, I will admit, that even thought I totally know that nothing will be different this time, sometimes I still say "hang it" and don't do the new thing that I know will bring a new result. There are things I've resigned myself to, at least for the present time. I just feel tired at times and not sure if I care enough to learn a new way for some things.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I put my hands on hot stoves all the time to. However, I don't expect it will be different. I expect pain is a motivating force in my life. Like the bodybuilders say:

"No pain. No gain."
It seems to all come down to my pain threshold as well. When changing my behavior becomes less painful than not changing it then I'm willing to try things a different way. It took A LOT of pain and suffering before I became willing to work the steps. You would think that by the steps removing my drink problem I would be more willing to apply them to other problems in my life without waiting for the pain to become unbearable. Hopefully the desire to live a life relatively free of mental anguish will become more second nature with time. Until then "ain't it grand the wind stopped blowin'?"
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

making sense

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

"No pain. No gain."
If it makes sense it's not religious. ..it it makes sense it is spiritual! !!