Notices

Worried about DOT Physical - Swollen Liver

Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about DOT Physical - Swollen Liver

Long story short: I have been drinking for 10 years - 4 of which were heavy (at least a pint and often a fifth of 80 proof vodka at least 4 nights out of the week). In the past 6 months I have cut my drinking down considerably but have found it difficult to quit totally. When I do abstain, on a scale from 1 to 10 my withdrawal symptoms are probably a 3-4: Elevated BP and heart rate for a week or so, insomnia, brain fog for a few weeks longer. So it's not a big deal to not drink...( Side note: Doesn't make any sense why I don't just then stop does it?)

I am attempting a career change and I need to have a full Department of Transportation physical examination. They do check for signs and symptoms of alcoholism and I haven't had any sort of physical in years so I don't know if my liver is swollen. However, there's no way it's not noticeably enlarged. I don't feel any abdominal discomfort in that area but I am justifiably worried.

I am considering a concentrated effort to put the bottle down in an effort to relieve my liver and allow it to return to a more normal state. I have read multiple times on here that if people's liver enzymes were elevated they usually returned to normal ranges fairly quickly (30-60 days) after abstinence. Generally speaking how true is that? Does inflammation go hand in hand with enzyme levels?

They do not take blood during this physical, they require a urine sample and palpation of the abdomen to "identify unknown or hidden illnesses".

I know this is a recovery forum, and abstinence is the word here..I'm working on it.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's really no way to know - common sense suggests you'll get a better result from not drinking from now.

If the examination uncovers anything it might be for the best notso?
I hope you'll continue with abstinence after the exam too

Whats your plan to not drink entail?

D
Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I live in a "dry" county but a "wet" town. My Grandparents live in a dry part of the county...They live about an hour from the nearest liquor store and I'm in a position to spend some time with them. I love alcohol, but not enough to make a two hour round trip to get it only to come home and hide in a back room and get plastered. I'm already on day three with none of the devils drink in me. If it wasn't for the insomnia I think I would be quite comfortable at the moment.

I can't stay here indefinitely though..At some point I'll have to return to my real home and get back in that environment that has lead me to this point. I wish I had a plan, but willpower and the drive to not become addicted to this crap again is my goal. This career change will put me in a place that I cannot even get access to alcohol of any kind so at that point it will be forced sobriety. At that point can I ask for a username change? lol
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

I have found that living without alcohol has brought me a freedom I have not previously known as an adult. I hid and avoided things for years- it is now good not to have to. I hope you can sort stuff out and will be OK
Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is not medical advice! However, I do know that liver damage may have few to NO symptoms whatsoever. It's maybe a blessing that you have to get this physical done. As far as liver enzymes returning to normal, that varies from person to person. I've known people with liver damage that have managed to change their lifestyle, though their labs indicate that everything is "normal" after changing diet and abstaining from alcohol. The damage is still there, but they've been able to return to a healthy status. Best of luck to you. Make that appointment!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My husband, who rarely drinks, had a fatty and enlarged liver. He had no idea. He did say once he corrected the problem (through diet, a medication change, and exercise) he felt better-even though he didn't know he had this problem. Interesting how that works.

The thing about alcohol and how it affects the body is that each and every person is different. I do know that once I got my mind on board that my body started to feel better.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies so far guys. This physical also requires the doctor to note if I am overweight (which I am by about 50 lbs). The last time I quit drinking I lost about 35-40 lbs. in two months. So maybe I can kill two birds with one stone!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Notsosober View Post
...willpower and the drive to not become addicted to this crap again is my goal.
It's been my experience that willpower only takes us just so far. One could argue that it's willpower alone that gets us through the early part of recovery, but that the power of alcoholism and other addictions is such that it is resistant to willpower alone.

When willpower stops working, many of us have needed some kind of program, treatment or other strong supports to remain sober.

If willpower or the inconvenience of having to travel long distances in order to get the drink worked, most of us wouldn't be here.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Notsosober View Post
At some point I'll have to return to my real home and get back in that environment that has lead me to this point. I wish I had a plan, but willpower and the drive to not become addicted to this crap again is my goal.
When you failed at moderation you came back and told those of us who had cautioned you about trying moderation that we were right.

So if you now trust the voice of experience, here's a suggestion. Get a plan. Treat this as an addiction that requires a structured recovery plan that you work to maintain your sobriety. AA, Rational Recovery, local out-patient support. Something. Because if drive and will power was enough, you'd likely would have succeeded your first try.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Almost a month down and so far so good. Going through some tough introspection trying to build up a new sober persona and ways of dealing with things. Starting to examine my long term relationship with my fiance and mend some hurt feelings. Hopefully everything turns out for the best...Funny how fast things turn around - for the better and worse I suppose. Got to keep steadfast and get this crap behind me!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have taken several DOT physicals myself and fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your view they are basically all a joke. I had a guy take my blood pressure, tell me to touch my toes, they did a urine test for diabetes and I was out the door- it really is just a screw job to get 100 bucks out of you or your employer. My point is that this wont tell you if you have health problems from drinking or not- they aren't doing anything but blood pressure and diabetes testing- I have never even been weighed and I am overweight for sure.

The biggest issue is figuring out a sustainable way to stay sober.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

With regard to you DOT physical, your biggest concern should be your blood pressure. You will not pass with an elevated BP. Palpation of your liver is highly unlikely to cause you to fail your physical.

With regard to you alcoholism, your biggest concern should be your life. Consumption of this quantity of liquor is unlikely to result in any quality of life.

Best Wishes.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ohio1 View Post
I have taken several DOT physicals myself and.....it really is just a screw job to get 100 bucks out of you or your employer.
That's about right, I agree!!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have yearly DOT physicals and I can tell you that it's no big deal. I have only been examined by a Physician's Assistant, then the doctor comes in to sign my medical card. They are most concerned with vision, blood pressure, physical mobility and diabetes.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Still doing good.. BP is normal, swollen lymph nodes in chest and sides are gone, "liver bump" under my rib cage is gone, the ability to sleep has returned full fledged, no longer chained to the bottle....I've drank twice to reasonable amounts and was able to stay away from it the next day. Really REALLY thought about getting some vodka tonight but turned away from the store at the last minute. Sitting here sober I feel it was a good decision.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It was a GREAT decision. As its been said, the blood pressure is something they look at. I've also had them look at protien (sp?) in the urine, which can be an indicator or liver or kidney problems from drinking or other causes. I abstained and was a dry drunk for 2 months last time and passed the blood pressure part by about 2 points. This year I've lost about 35 pounds so far, and I quit drinking for good 23 days ago. I have to take renew my medical card in December. I think it should go much better this time around. Good luck!