Notices

When does the anxiety and regret get better?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does the anxiety and regret get better?

I just keep reliving the stupid and embarrassing things I have done when drunk. When will that get better? My mind won't shut off!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
I just keep reliving the stupid and embarrassing things I have done when drunk. When will that get better? My mind won't shut off!
You need some activities that will help you get out of your self like fellowship and service to others. Isolating and trying to go it alone are the worst things you can do.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Recovery is the best cure for regrets. The farther away you get from the stupid and embarrassing drinking, the easier it gets.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As you get & stay sober Ladybug those feelings will fade & you will feel better. I have over 2 years & I am still ashamed of some of my behaviors. It gets better tho. Only time and active recovery helps.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am going to try and get my mind off of things and pray for God to give me peace.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

...pray for God to give me peace.
Prayer is good but charity is better. It is a common slogan in recovery "Faith without works is dead".
Old 08-11-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LadyBug,

It does get better with time. My first month of sobriety was pretty bad as far as the guilt and regrets, even anxiety. Time, and focusing on things other than my thoughts has helped a lot. When did you quit?

June
Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know Lady. I suffer from that too. I know sometimes i can see the forest for the trees...or however the saying goes. As you know your hardest critic is yourself and I think it just has to be that way for a while. If you find a quick cure please let me know!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thursday, I binged and blacked out.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've quit before but this time I really feel like I'm done. I can't keep living with regrets its eating me alive.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've quit before but this time I really feel like I'm done. I can't keep living with regrets its eating me alive.

Lady..take a deep breath. you are just stuck in your mind right now. You and I both know that doesn't last forever. there is a way out. You have to believe that
Old 08-11-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sometime you've just got to stay stopped and let time and distance let things move on but if you carry on drinking its going to follow you and it'll never be far away.
Time to make each day count everyday.
Love John.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It will get just a little bit every day ,Its slow but steady
Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

regrets an interesting thing. You regret stuff that happened in your past it makes you feel crummy today and in reality there is nothing you can even do about it so why even worry about it? I heard a preacher once he said look at life as if its a tv and it has 3 channels. you got the past, the present, and the future. He said if you tune into the past theres regret i shoulda this I shoulda that I wish this would have turned out differently. If you tune in the future theres worry what if i dont save enough for retirement what if i cant pay for my kids education what if the car breaks down on tuesday etc.. If you tune in to the the present theres also plenty of stuff to concern yourself with time to make lunch time to get to work time hit the store dont forget this or that while i'm there etc.. But you cannot focus on all 3 channels its just too much.

Your best bet is to focus on today the present and just leave it at that. Let tommorrow worry about tommorrow. yesturday is done and gone whats done is done nothing you can do about it just leave it there and move forward through today.

You got enough trouble right here right now and enough struggles right here right now to worry about no sense in adding to that thinking about what coulda been or what might be.

hang in there it does get easier.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

LadyBug,

The regrets and the shame are what brought me here, so I understand...they got worse and worse with time, so like you, I decided not to feel that anymore. I'm about two months out now and I can honestly say that a lot of those feelings are gone. I can feel proud in the morning when I wake up because I don't have to worry about something stupid I said or did the night before. Or worse, something stupid I said or did that I can't remember! Please stay with this so you can feel the peace that comes with sobriety.

June
Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am an AA guy.
do a step four and five and those things go away. All mine did.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Today is better than yesterday ... a little.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Some Buddhist wise guy said once to me “what is more important to look for the bus you missed or the one you are going to catch”. He was being rather smart with that phrase, but he was also right.

How are you experiencing this are these memories returning to you frequently for days or weeks?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm with you! Enough is enough! I have reached a place that I know I will stay sober. This time 4 sure!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
I am an AA guy.
do a step four and five and those things go away. All mine did.
worked miracles for me,too. never thought I see the day I didn't regret the past, but I have no regrets or remorse for the past anymore, all due to working the steps.