Notices

Anyone try to "drink socially"?

Old 05-26-2004, 10:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic. Science may one day accomplish this, but it hasn't done so yet."

"By every form of self-deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic. If anyone who is showing the inability to control his drinking can do the right-about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people!

Here are some of the methods we have treid: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical excercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanatariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums----we could increase the list ad infinitum"

Thanks for saying so well Bill!

Drinking socially? ROTFLMAO! Not a chance..........

IMHO........Tom
Old 05-26-2004, 11:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Many were the times I fooled myself (and others) into believing I was a "social drinker".

Because I was able to go to a few parties and have a drink or two I convinced myself that I was regaining control.

The fact is I am an alcoholic and for me there was never ever going to be any such thing as "social drinking" again.As soon as some event started unfolding in my life that I felt was too difficult for me to handle I would find myself drawn again into the mad realm of drunkenness without even putting up a fight.

If there are people out there who can somehow return to "normal drinking" after a long struggle with alcohol,I lift my hat to them.

I know this alcoholic can't do it.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Paused

Peter, what you are talking about here is called "over confidence".

My husband suffered from that when he decided he could be a social drinker. It is an over confidence in that you can control this disease... Which my H clearly could not. Not only could he not control it, but once he took that drink it lead down a very slippery slope and he ended up as a "garbage head". Basically if you had a drug on you and you were willing to share - it was his DOC for the moment...

Thank God he is working with his HP now....
Old 05-28-2004, 04:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
catch-22

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
H
We honeymooned in Paris, where they drink wine for breakfast.
Get the picture...
Hi DangerousDan,

sorry for the OT... we honeymooned in Paris in 1990 as well... what month were you there? BTW... I only drank in the evenings then...
:tongue2:

Catch
Old 05-28-2004, 04:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by catch-22
Hi DangerousDan,

sorry for the OT... we honeymooned in Paris in 1990 as well... what month were you there? BTW... I only drank in the evenings then...
:tongue2:

Catch
Hey catch,
We were there the last three weeks of May and the first week of June. Many side trips all over France, but Paris was our home base. I even drove a car in Paris.... Talk about a death wish!
Old 05-28-2004, 05:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
catch-22

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Hey catch,
We were there the last three weeks of May and the first week of June. Many side trips all over France, but Paris was our home base. I even drove a car in Paris.... Talk about a death wish!
Ah, we were there at the end of November... I thought I spotted quite a few little mountains of dried-up vomit on the pavements....

Catch
Old 05-28-2004, 06:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by catch-22
Ah, we were there at the end of November... I thought I spotted quite a few little mountains of dried-up vomit on the pavements....

Catch

Actually, those funny toilets next to the toilets in our hotel rooms came in quite handy... You know, ralph and rinse all in one!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Paused

Mary - "Over Confident" describes it perfectly!!!! THat is how my AH is behaving. Totally over confident. Our marriage counselor even told him that this week.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Drink Socially

hmmmm sure we can in our dilusional mind, this is why we relapse, detox, sober up and then relapse and some die from the eventual cycle. You just asked the question that most of us here are convinced we can eventually do. It will be different this time
I will just drink....
I will only have a six pack to relax
I only drink wine with dinner (and breakfast, and lunch, and snacktime and brunch....)
I only drink beer, everyone has one once in a while (yeah, one not 21/day)
I can control it, I just had too much last night

need I go on??
Prayers,
Roy
Old 06-03-2004, 11:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hey smf30,
There is a program called moderation management.
http://www.moderation.org
I don't know how well it works, but I know that if the alcoholic does the same thing he has always done, he will get the same thing he always got. There are alternatives to AA. Don S knows more about these programs than I do. But the bottom line is that the person has to be ready to change. Until that happens, I doubt any program or lack thereof will make much of a difference.