Notices

Bruising?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

A couple weeks ago I got a very small bruise on my arm that I really don't think It was due to injury. It healed, and now I just noticed another small one on my wrist I really don't think was due to injury either, so I am really freaked out and hope its not due to drinking or liver damage.

I made an appointment with the doc this Wednesday. In the mean time I'm really anxious over it(anxiety is always an issue). Has anyone else had any problems with bruising? They haven't been bigger then a thumbprint, only noticed two, no other symptoms(no jaundice, appetite is fine, normal urine, no swelling). Although I do have minor pain on my right abdomen. Hoping everything is ok, and just wanted to see if anyone else has had this. This has scared me away from touching any alcohol.

I'm really just hoping and praying that I am over reacting.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Seeing a doctor is the right choice. It isn't productive to fret about the unknown. Wait for the doctors' diagnosis, and then fret, if that's your nature. At least you will know what to be anxious about and can address it.

And be honest with the doctor about your drinking.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had this when I was drinking and now my liver is fine and I don't bruise cuz I don't drink!

You are doing the right thing by not drinking and going to the doctor!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get a clean bill of heath

D
Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm always bruising myself, but can't remember how. For me, it's not related to drinking or my health. I'm just so focused sometimes I don't notice when I hurt myself.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Don t worry too much before you see the doctor, could be vitamin deficiency or slight anemia. I don t know how long you have been sober but alcoholics tend to have poor nutrition.
I went through a phase where I would bruise easily (was not drinking at all) and a check up revealed I was anemic.

Good luck
Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you sober or were you drinking at the time of the bruising??
Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MTD

I had horrible bruising all over. Was not eating just drinking. Now sober I have no bruising. See your doctor!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

I did have bruising problems when I last quit. I did see a doctor but I didn't bring up the bruising. I had a liver function test taken and the doctor told me some of the numbers that came back were akin to those of people who try to overdose on tylenol. That could've been the source of the bruises. It could've been a vitamin C deficiency too, as I was not eating well at that time.

Just have to let the doctor check you out and see what's going on. With luck you might just be like me and did some temporary damage that'll heal in time. My last check up was a couple weeks ago and my test results came back clean as a baby's conscience.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seriously? 2 very small bruises and you are freaking out? You have never in your life just not known how you got a bruise?
If this was happening all the time and the bruises were substantial then I might see a reason for concern, this, I think you are just freaking yourself out.
But, if it puts your mind at ease, go see a doc.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sometimes when we quit drinking, we become hyper aware of things, and notice all kinds of physical issues that we would have just ignored when drinking.

I forget what my doctor called it something like self checking. :/
This can cause a lot of anxiety.

Getting checked out at the doctor should let you know where you stand, and hopefully you haven't done any long term damage. If that's the case, you can not get as worried about things that may not be a big deal.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a blood-thinner. Plus, when you drink you bump into things.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

When I was really drunk I would wake up with bruises here and there with no clue where they came from. I agree see your doctor to ease your mind but it is probably nothing.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. The first one had been while drinking(it is possible it is something small I don't remember getting), and another one I had noticed after a night of not drinking(the day I posted which was yesterday). I agree about the self-checking, but unfortunately I tend to have anxiety over small things that happen and turn them into a bigger deal which I am hoping to be the case(do this a lot with possible medical issues and I hate it). Regardless though, my mind is since been very focused on my health and it's been a great motivator for pursuing sobriety. I am coming up on day 4 again with no drink after dealing with one of the craziest weeks I've had. I am willing to do whatever it takes this time to win this battle.