Notices

5 days sober and really weird dreams

Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days sober and really weird dreams

Hi guys. I am 5 days sober today. Yay! I am feeling much better as the days go on, but I am having very strange dreams. I have always been a sleep walker/talker. But since I quit, if I am sleeping with my H, I will wake up and think he his an enemy of some sort, get really freaked out and yell at him or question why he is there...strange.
Last night I fell asleep on the couch. I semi woke in a panic thinking I drank, and I tried to remember the day before, and what I did. I was in a dream state whie doing this. When I fully woke, I was so happy it was a dream. But still my heart was racing, and I had to calm myself down.
I read bad dreams are normal. I guess I am wondering is their any thing to do to lesson them? Or how long do they last.
Thanks all
Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Black Bird. When I don't drink which is during the week, I always have very strange dreams and wake up in a sweat and panic. I had a dream last night that hubby's pond fish all jumped out of the pond and committed suicide...Monday night when I laid down I felt that I had just polished off a bottle of booze, which was not the case. Some type of domino affect I guess? There as been plenty of other strange ones as well but I won't bore you with those. I have been dealing with this for some time now. I hope it subsides after a fair amount of sobriety. I am on day 3, so I can tell I have a good ways to go. I would also like to know how long these tend to last as it affects my sleep throughout the week. Well the weekend I am to wasted to even remember if I have strange dreams, so I have no idea if this is normal. I guess I will find out this weekend.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perfectly normal--both the scary dreams and the drinking dreams. Will pass soon.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Black Bird, 5 days sober and really weird dreams? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i had bad dreams for awhile.
Some of them really horrific things.
But they did go away.
now just pleasant dreams, lol
Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They last about 2 weeks .
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm at Day 12, but even from Day 2 I noticed my dreams became more vivid than when I was drunk. I have read that this is because alcohol impairs our REM sleep which is when we dream deeply and once we stop drinking our REM sleep slowly begins to return. To be honest I have found the dreams one of the most enjoyable parts of sobriety. Makes sleep more interesting.