Notices

This is so stupid

Old 08-04-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is so stupid

I want to write this down because it hasn't gone away and its a fairly new thing for me.

I am almost 90 days sober, going to AA, have a sponsor etc... My old roommate's bachelor party was last night (I didn't go) but last week I start thinking "why can't I just get hammered when its ""appropriate""?

Weddings, bachelor party's, seeing old friends haven't seen in years, bday parties. I bet I could. I have never wanted a few beers, I'm not talking about that- I'm talking about getting drunk but only when its "ok". If I can go 90 days with no alcohol can't I get trashed at a bachelor's party then go back to AA the next day? Can't I repent and jump back into the program with my shiny new relapse stories to tell?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have come to terms with the fact that you are an alcoholic then these binges will only lead to greater sorrow further down the road. Lots of people here were binge drinkers and had just as many problems as daily drinkers, sometimes worse problems. It can even be more dangerous than daily drinking because your body goes into shock especially since you were a daily drinker for a while.

It's not worth it, in the long run you'll regret it.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Ohio1 View Post
If I can go 90 days with no alcohol can't I get trashed at a bachelor's party then go back to AA the next day? Can't I repent and jump back into the program with my shiny new relapse stories to tell?
Hey Ohio.

Yes, we'd all like to be able to do that. Many of us found out the hard way that taking sober vacations doesn't work. I learned that even a single drink leads me back to a very dark place.

If you can go ninety days with no alcohol, can't you go just one more day? Even another ninety?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for a timely reminder; I'm nearly 90 days too.
Nope, we can't go for broke on special occasions!
IMHO to do so sets up the old cycle and all those bad ramifications.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hey, I found one of your old posts:

The first day after a week long streak is always a bad day for me and today was no exception. The anxiety/rapid pulse and crazy hunger mixed with rolling nausea and intense fatigue followed up by racing thoughts just was too much for me to do more than watch bad documentaries and drink green tea trying to eat something nutritious.
Do you really believe that you can go out, get hammered for ONE night and have nothing but shiny new relapse stories to tell? I doubt it....
Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I tried that, but only ended up with many more years of misery.

That's just my story.

I wish you well on your sober journey; may it not be as miserable for you as it was for me.

Hugs,
~SB