Notices

Loneliness

Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loneliness

I'm trying real hard to get out of my own head. I feel so lonely lately I had to changecmy friends they are in recovery too. I still talk to them but drifting apart. Its real hard for me to make friends I call people to talk that I don't know and I feel socially awkward. I'm really shy and don't know hoe to make friends. I just needed to vent over here. I have been trying to keep busy to get out of my head. I'm 4 months sober today. I call at least 3 people a day. I still pick the wrong friends.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

4 months is a real accomplishment. I know what you mean. Sometimes life seems like a party everyone's invited to, but you. I suspect the only way is to be genuine. People not being friends with you is sometimes a good thing. Sometimes I feel like, "thank God that friendship didn't work out!"

At a year and 4 months, I care less. I look around my messy room and feel like, whelp, that's the way it is. At least I'm trying. I'm not sure what more I can do aside from put myself out there. What you are doing takes a lot of energy and courage.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

anoronha
wow i connected with your post. i lost pretty much all my friends when i stopped drinking. i understand how you feel you get lonely. many times i feel lonely too. i also have been trying to keep busy with my self, only so many times you can reorganize your house or clean your yard. i too pick up the wrong friends too. so i come here and got some great advice. but this is a great place to meet new people.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm not here to push AA or any other particular kind of help, but I can tell you what it did for me.

Going to meetings nearly every day in early sobriety kept me connected to my own recovery. I got me out of the house. It enabled me to meet other sober people, some of whom became friends. Perhaps most important, I had a support system at the ready whenever life went sideways.

Loneliness is a huge issue for many people new to sobriety.Things will get better in time as you continue to take care of yourself.

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I'm trying real hard to get out of my own head. I feel so lonely lately I had to changecmy friends they are in recovery too. I still talk to them but drifting apart. Its real hard for me to make friends I call people to talk that I don't know and I feel socially awkward. I'm really shy and don't know hoe to make friends. I just needed to vent over here. I have been trying to keep busy to get out of my head. I'm 4 months sober today. I call at least 3 people a day. I still pick the wrong friends.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I'm not here to push AA or any other particular kind of help, but I can tell you what it did for me.

Going to meetings nearly every day in early sobriety kept me connected to my own recovery. I got me out of the house. It enabled me to meet other sober people, some of whom became friends. Perhaps most important, I had a support system at the ready whenever life went sideways.

Loneliness is a huge issue for many people new to sobriety.Things will get better in time as you continue to take care of yourself.
I hear what you are saying I go to 3 to 4 meetings a week I would go to more but I work full time and have a crazy schedule. This week I went to 8 meetings because I had more days off than usual.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
anoronha
wow i connected with your post. i lost pretty much all my friends when i stopped drinking. i understand how you feel you get lonely. many times i feel lonely too. i also have been trying to keep busy with my self, only so many times you can reorganize your house or clean your yard. i too pick up the wrong friends too. so i come here and got some great advice. but this is a great place to meet new people.
What program do you use AA or smart recovery or another one? I know it sucks picking the wrong friends I always pick the ones that don't seem to care not that I am the perfect friend I have my faults too. I have learned over the years to not be so intense when it comes to friendships and relationships.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

It takes time to make friends.

When I worked through the steps, I found out that it's not about me today; it's about being a friend to others.

Paradoxical, I know!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I know it sucks picking the wrong friends I always pick the ones that don't seem to care not that I am the perfect friend I have my faults too. I have learned over the years to not be so intense when it comes to friendships and relationships.
well i think it is hard to meet friends that you have common interests with and like to do things with. at least for me. i get along good with my co-workers and but as far as forming new friendships it is very difficult. i understand,, i have my faults too, we all due in life. but over the years i also learned not to be intense also, but also i learned to listen more to other and respect their feelings.
do you open up and develop friendship on line ok?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just started going back to meetings in hopes of meeting other sober friends. Loneliness is rough. I'm right there with you.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Anorohna, 4 months today? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. I was worried about losing my friends at first, and did loose them, but the sadness, and lonelyness went away fairly quickly. Rootin for ya.