Notices

every day drinker since quiting pot

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

every day drinker since quiting pot

I have quit smoking pot about 3 months ago. I have done it 3 times before, and every time I rely on beer. I drink about twelve beer a day. I really need to quite but don't think im worthy of being here. Every one here seems too have much worse symptoms than me.I wan't too change, I just need help.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi speedyf3- welcome

The problem with waiting until you have a 'real problem' tho is most of us keep moving the goalposts.

I was drinking all day everyday and still found people worse off than me to compare myself to.

It may only be 12 beers to you, but if you consider it's recommended if people drink they should only drink a maximum 1-2 glasses a day - and then not every day - you're probably closer to the front of the class than you are to the back....

My drink problem started in earnest after I quit pot too. It;s really easy to simply change horses and stay in addiction.

If you think you need to quit, then that's the bottom line - and you're in the right place

D
Old 07-31-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome speedy! Of course you belong here. I was still drinking & trying to figure things out when I first came to SR. Reading and posting helped me make a life changing decision.

Congratulations on quitting pot smoking. As for the beer drinking, if it's causing you concern that's a good enough reason to be here and work on your sobriety. It's great that you aren't willing to settle for your 12-beer a day habit. I hope you'll find the support you're looking for. Glad you joined us!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome speedy!

I don't know, maybe I'm a real lightweight, but that sounds like a lot to me! I think you'll find that some people here drank more and some drank less.... in the end it's more about what alcohol does to us than it is about the quantity we drank.

Most of us find we can't stop on our own, and if that's the case with you, you've come to a great place! We know what it's like (and how easy it can be to trade one addiction with another). Keep reading and posting - there's a lot of helpful info around here!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

I wish i would have came to a place like this when it was just trying to get off pot then getting on beer. Maybe I would have quit then. not 10 years later and all sorts of more problems.

I went from substance to substance Any adict has there substance of choice. I have a friend Pot is his Beer is mine another prefers heroine another coke. All of us can entertain each others favorite substance instead of our own for a while but in the end we are back to our perfered poison. I hate to say it but a lot of people trade there illegal substance for a medically prescribed one too still never getting away from the substances they just get there "fix' if you will in amore socially acceptable manner one thats paid for by health insurance and doctor approved etc..

You can play that game for a long long time. Go a night without the beer. YOu already got the Pot problem stopped. Try stopping the beer. I sorta had to do 1 by 1 elimination. I quit pot 6 years prior to quiting booze. I quit all the other drugs about then too but stayed attached to the bottle however and my habit just got worse.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

I rarely drank when I smoked pot regularly. But when my source dried up, there was no stopping me. Day and night, night and day. It wasn't a good morning for me without at least a pint of vodka.

There are plenty of people who seem worse off than I do. But there are also many people who shake their heads when they hear my story.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my opinion Try to go counseling.. he will give some solution...
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A huge part of continued addiction is denial. Denial is that part of you that convinces you that if you still go to work and hold down a job, come home at the end of the day, or IT"S JUST BEER, that you are OK. It searches the earth to find someone else who is "worse" than you.

Denial can smooth over any rough spots, clean your plate of guilt and always, always, always let you keep on using as much as you want.

It may lead you down a brief "slow down" to prove you can do it but you will always come back.

This is the voice of experience talking. I had to quit pot - my first love - as I couldn't find it anymore. I turned to alcohol but as I got older and held a professional job the smell of it made me look like a drunk. Imagine that. Pills have no smell so down that road and on and on and on.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A bit like jumping in the lake to get out of the rain eh?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a job ,and a farm ,plus a sucessful business ,and was drinking an excessive amount .

But excessive drinking was very damaging to my family life .
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"

Well the OP hasn't returned after the initial post but I wanted to chime in here with my experience since, as indicated from my historical quote above, I saw some red flags of behavior. Frying pan to fire sort of stuff.

I had to ditch weed many years ago for employment reasons. I wasn't happy about it but I ended up trying real hard to fill the hole with alcohol. It worked for a while but didn't end well. But it did end, like all of my past addictions, because I now know that substitution, denial, rationalization and all of those things are just excuses for someone who isn't ready to give up on having "chemical crutches" in their life. I had to "surrender to win". I don't feel like a winner all the time but for now there is no substance on earth that has a leash around my neck anymore. That in itself is awesomeness.

BTW Speedy, of course you are worthy of being here so please come back.