Notices

Goals vs. "Stuff I Have to do"

Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Goals vs. "Stuff I Have to do"

Like it or not, we engage in dialogue with ourselves constantly on a daily basis. We speak to ourselves in our heads, and we hear our own voices more frequently than we hear anyone else. The way we engage in conversations with ourselves can really make a difference in the way we view recovery. Take these 2 sentences:

1. "Man. I got to get some new friends. And I have to get that train ticket to Milwaukee, then I have to book a hotel, and I have got to do some laundry later. Oh yeah, and I have to get a new job!"

vs.

2. "My goal for the day is to plan my weekend in Milwaukee and take care of things at home before I leave. My goal for the week is to meet some new and interesting friends, and to look for a job that's better suited for my current situation."

It's pretty easy to see which sentence is a healthier way to talk with yourself. Similarly, "I have to quit drinking" can be turned around into "I have a goal to live a full life without alcohol". If you change the way you talk to yourself, your thinking will begin to change along with it. It's totally worthwhile and I hope some of you who are on pins and needles with anxiety about quitting will find this useful.

In my experience setting goals has helped me feel less "boxed in" and more like I am accomplishing steps and growing as a person.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
L

In my experience setting goals has helped me feel less "boxed in" and more like I am accomplishing steps and growing as a person.
It has been my experience that I can't live my life without making plans - but I can live my life without planing the outcome. When I simply do my part, step up to the plate, provide the action of swinging the bat, it all works best if I let the ball go where ever the Universe wants to take it. That is, I detach from the outcome. Success and failure are not mine to pocket.

"All expectations are seeds for resentment"
(Zhuang Zhou)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
When I simply do my part, step up to the plate, provide the action of swinging the bat, it all works best if I let the ball go where ever the Universe wants to take it.
You sound like a Tigers fan...ha. I follow the White Sox locally and the Twins as my hometown team - you guys are killing it this year. Nice season, Miggy Cabrera might do it again!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

bigsombrero..you are in Chicago now....just 4.5 months till winter. Hope you are ready. Setting goals and day to day life sometimes get hard to juggle. You gotta stay passionate. You can't lose your drive or your nerve!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
You sound like a Tigers fan...ha. I follow the White Sox locally and the Twins as my hometown team - you guys are killing it this year. Nice season, Miggy Cabrera might do it again!
pitching's doin pretty good too!
scherzer possible cy young.