Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

If you become physically dependant on alcohol, can it be reversed?

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you've become physically dependant on alcohol, can this be reversible if you stop drinking?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it can. You will need to speak to your Dr and get info on stopping if you are physically dependent. Yes detoxing can be done safely.
Psychologically their are issues revolving around alcohol for me. It is a demon substance. But physically I am no longer dependent on it.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also how is it reversed, and how long does withdrawal typically last? Is it possible to successfully gradually taper yourself off alcohol? (With beer) how long does it take to become non-dependant?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am no Dr, but do have MUCH experience.
For me, Tapering did not work AT ALL. My Addiction Dr told me 10% less per day to avoid serious medical ramifications. ie seizures and strokes.
If you are physically dependent you will be at a serious medical risk from 1-4 days. My WD's lasted about 7 total. I would start feeling great at about 2 weeks sober.
My recommendation is to go speak with your Doctor, they will make medical suggestions to ease the WD and make sure you are safe.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YES, it is reversible, the physical addiction part of things. How long does it take? I'm not a doctor, so I don't want to tread into unfamiliar territory.

But YES, it WILL go away, the physical addiction.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tapering when you are physically dependant is difficult. If you were able to do this you would naturally just do it when you realised you were drinking too much. If you are able to though then it's a good idea to do this until you speak to your doctor. I was always advised to just cut down but found it practically impossible. Alot of people in the UK do suggest this but if you feel like you can't then just tell them that and ask for a medical detox. Please don't attempt this without support. In terms of reversing dependency... It depends how you mean. If you never drink again then yeah, you won't be dependant any more, but you can't reset it and drink 'normally' again.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i've done 2 medical detoxes. the forst one was inpatient and was librium and lorezapam, along with thiamine and vitamin B compund to help with any brain damage (not to scare you, but those moments when you can't find the right word, or get lost in a town you're familiar with? yep, caused by excessive alcohol).

this time i did it outpatient under supervision of my local Crisis Team. i had Valium 3x daily to help with the anxiety and hallucinations.

we can't give medical advice here, but i would say that if you are physically dependent, you need to speak to a Doctor. withdrawal can be dangerous.

good luck with it, and well done for taking this first step.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The basic physical withdrawal symptoms can be reversed via tapering or cold turkey + medically supported detox. The neurophysiological addiction, IMHO, can *never* be reversed in many / most cases, depending on how long or chronically you've been practicing your addiction. The addiction is more than just physiological tolerance and withdrawal symptoms, there's also the neurobiological component, which lasts far far longer (some would say a lifetime) after acute withdrawal from addiction has been accomplished.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yea it can, a many people became dependent on alcohol. but you should see your doctor about it
Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So how long on average does withdrawal last? For a heavy beer drinker
Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by AnxiousAspie View Post
So how long on average does withdrawal last? For a heavy beer drinker
I'm not aware of any "average" time frame for withdrawal. Some symptoms of withdrawal, such as shaking, can be permanent. Others are fleeting.

The only rule of thumb I'm comfortable with is that the longer you continue to drink, the more damage you're doing to your mind and body.

Google post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) to get an idea of what you can expect.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also how is it reversed, and how long does withdrawal typically last? Is it possible to successfully gradually taper yourself off alcohol? (With beer) how long does it take to become non-dependant?

How To Taper Off Alcohol

I tried the taper ,but it did not work .

I was psysically dep. on alochol ,to the point of waking up at night with the shakes about midnight .

I did a detox at home and while working ,1 mg klonopin ,used a taper scedule i found online .

You will be non dep, in a week or 2 ,id saw actually less than a week ,
Mine was no sweat really .

I have got to the point where i can drink a beer or 2 no problem ,most of the time i dont want ,as odd as that sounds ,My desire for drinking is very low .
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
The basic physical withdrawal symptoms can be reversed via tapering or cold turkey + medically supported detox. The neurophysiological addiction, IMHO, can *never* be reversed in many / most cases, depending on how long or chronically you've been practicing your addiction. The addiction is more than just physiological tolerance and withdrawal symptoms, there's also the neurobiological component, which lasts far far longer (some would say a lifetime) after acute withdrawal from addiction has been accomplished.
Not to derail the post (especially since over the years I have been more of a lurker rather than a poster. Often come here for inspiration from time to time during my struggle to stay sober) but there is a chance the neurophysical component can in fact be treated with an inexpensive opiate-antagonist drug (Naltrexone) and a specific treatment protocol called the Sinclair Method. It has been talked about before on this site, and can be a bit divisive, so I will not go into it except to say that I am about 2.5 months in my treatment and the results are miraculous. I feel it is saving my life.
Not sure if you are a medical doctor but my primary care physician a few years back laughed off my request for Naltrexone and was convinced it does not work and that was that. In my opinion he was wrong (and arrogant but that is another thing all together...).
Just want to put this out there as I feel alcoholics are being done a real disservice (To put it lightly. I have much stronger opinions regarding this point)) by the medical community by not being given this option IF THEY ARE STILL CURRENTLY DRINKING.
Best to all.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It can once you've been safely detoxes but if you relapse down the line it takes less time and less alcohol to set the physical addiction off again. A mate of my mine had 6 months sober then relapsed with a few pints a day for a week or two and said he woke up at 3 am one night feeling incredibly anxious, rapid heart rate and sweats etc. and saw his dr who claimed his body had remembered the alcohol and kickstarted the withdrawal process again.

And that's after a week relapse of just a few pints of beer a night after 6 months sober. He did have a rough detox though last time which involved hospitalisation but yeah be careful with the physical dependence thing. That's when alcoholism gets really nasty.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How are you getting on with tapering off the beer AnxiousAspie i haven't seen you on here for a while?. I hope you are doing better.

Take care
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you've become physically dependant on alcohol, can this be reversible if you stop drinking?
Sure, once detoxed, the body/brain is no longer physically dependent on alcohol.

For me, this process takes 4-6 days and requires medical attention i.e. detox with benzodiazepines and vital signs monitored.

The last time I tried to "taper" from alcohol, I went from a little less than a pint of vodka a day to well over a quart. It obviously didn't work well.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=karate;4071011]How To Taper Off Alcohol

QUOTE]

MAN, there's some bad information in there!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Hayley, I have been gradually tapered down to 1 a day and now havnt drank for four days but I am going through absolute hell and really severe panic attacks and anxiety but today is better than yesterday, I haven't been on here due to all of this happening. I think it may be getting better, the shakes have stopped and the panic and anxiety is slightly better. My doctor has prescribed me with 1 month's worth of Diazepam and I have just taken the first one about an hour ago and it seems to be helping. I think I have been through the worst part but I don't really know as I've never withdrew since I started drinking but it's definitely improving. Thanks for all your help and support, steven.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Steven, I am really pleased to hear that you are doing okay. You did cross my mind when you were not here after your post. Well done on not having a drink for four days that's brilliant news!!.

Get through this initial awful bit and it will honestly get easier. I am glad you noticed that today is better than yesterday. Stick with it and each day it will become a little bit easier again.

I think its great that you have been to the doctor too you should feel proud of yourself for that. Remember what i said about getting a plan in place and a support system for when you are feeling panic ridden and anxious so you do not pick up a drink.

This place has really helped me with my recovery i am on here daily and the support from people is amazing. Make sure you post if you are worried about something. People will always listen and offer you advice and support.

Stay strong and take care.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=john44;4072064]
Originally Posted by karate View Post
How To Taper Off Alcohol

QUOTE]

MAN, there's some bad information in there!

It looks like it could work for some people ,the problem i had is counting how many i drank .

We all know while intoxicated ,its difficult to rember numbers ,or details like our own name -at times