Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Experiencing true happiness for the first time in a very long time

Notices

Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Before I got sober 46 days ago I could easily drink any day of the week to excess but my big problem times were Fridays and Saturdays. I managed to back myself into committing (perfect word for it) to those two days for indulging. Problem being that in those two days I certainly drank enough to spread out over a 7 day period! The rest of the days I spent planning for and waiting to drink.

This weekend will be my 7th weekend abstaining. My plan when I quit was going to the movies every Friday with my husband. Well, there really isn't anything that we want to see this weekend. I was thinking about getting something really good (take out) to eat instead and watching one of our shows that we have DVRd and I'm sitting there thinking about it and feeling this kind or euphoric feeling. At first I think to myself wow, talk about pink cloud, this is just a little over the top! However, I then realized that this was not euphoria nor the pink cloud. What it was is that I was looking forward to something and truly feeling happiness as it's meant to be felt. It's quite the feeling. I haven't felt this way since I first started drinking years ago. I didn't realize that alcohol wasn't making me happy, it was actually keeping me from being happy!

To top it off I am actually content with the fact that it's Friday and I could care less if I had a drink.

Hey, who knows, this could be the pink cloud. However, whatever it is I am going to imbed this memory into my mind. Realistically, I know that there will be cravings sometime ahead. I fully intend to refer back to this post and remember this feeling.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What has helped me since the pink cloud left is to remember that if I don't pick up the first drink I don't have to get sober AGAIN. I was told to hang onto that pink cloud as long as I could. BE WELL