Notices

Swapping poisons

Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Swapping poisons

I was an alchy before I became a pill head. Never wanted to drink the almost two years I was popping those little devils. Kicking I almost wished I could go back to wanting a beer because that would mean I was back to "normal". But I realized during the process that I wanted to be truly free. From everything. I've just about turned the corner on the pain pills.

I'm on vacation in Florida with the family, and th sun, sand, and literally hundreds of people enjoying adult beverages finally convinced me to try a few. I bought a 12 pack. I only drank 7 but its the obsession to get some once I decided to drink that scares me. I was ready to walk to the nearest convenience store once I made the decision. I don't want to go back there....
Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm glad you don't want to go back there, because there's nothing there but heartache. Might as well nip this in the bud..... do you have a support system or program, something to help you stay sober?

I'm sure you've worked hard to get off the pills, so give yourself a pat on the back for your progress, too!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Once I was "addicted" I was pretty much attracted to anything that could get me off ny head. It is very easy to swap from one thing to another. It sounds like it might be time to throw the towel in for any substances?

I hope you get it sorted.

Stu.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of wisdom, guys. I know I'll never find true happiness and fulfillment until I've let go completely of the idea that I can indulge recreationally or "moderately" in any mind altering substance. It's a slippery slope and one that I'd rather not test. I'm going to pour out those other 5 beers right now.

As far as recovery programs, I'm not working anything in particular. I am an avid triathlete and have signed up for an ironman in a few months that I'm training for. That training is usually enough to keep me on the straight and narrow, but I suppose being on vacation and not keeping my exercise routine up caused my guard to be down.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful

Yeah I was a sober alcoholic when I had heart surgery. I got addicted to pain pills and ended up relapsing on alcohol and was using both for awhile. I finally got off the pills but it took me 8 years of drinking before I got sober again. For me a drug is a drug. If it will numb the voices in my head I will take it as that was what I was after.