Notices

Triggering Emotions

Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggering Emotions

last week was our city's gay pride parade and seeing everyone's photos on fb set me off to the point I was like losing it and self harmed like something in my brain went wacko because I couldn't drink. That's stopped now but did anyone else's brain do this when told no and being cut off?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The way I look at it... no one is telling me "no"... I am liberating myself from the clutches of addiction and the hell and death that comes with it.

Try to take it one day at a time right now.... allow your brain to readjust and the toxins to leave your body.

It is common to experience a sense of loss, and even go through some of the stages of grief when quitting an addictive substance. You are leaving behind a harmful and negative way of dealing with life, and exchanging that for a healthier pattern of functioning.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
The way I look at it... no one is telling me "no"... I am liberating myself from the clutches of addiction and the hell and death that comes with it.

Try to take it one day at a time right now.... allow your brain to readjust and the toxins to leave your body.

It is common to experience a sense of loss, and even go through some of the stages of grief when quitting an addictive substance. You are leaving behind a harmful and negative way of dealing with life, and exchanging that for a healthier pattern of functioning.
More so me telling myself no and it's like I fight with myself in my brain like a child throwing a fit in a candy store as stupid as it sounds it's like my brain has to relearn there is no more instant gratification. It's a process I'm putting myself through from social networking to socializing to reshape my life.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I felt like that, exactly like that, like a scolded child being denied a privilege... I don't feel like that anymore. It gets better, promise.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
...I am liberating myself from the clutches of addiction and the hell and death that comes with it.
Fabulous, Jennie! I love this.