Notices

Binge Drinking and Blackouts

Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Drinking and Blackouts

Hey everyone-
I just signed up to this board after receiving a wake up call from two of my friends last weekend. I partied hard at my friends birthday party Saturday night, and did some Molly. Then, I drank on an empty stomach on Sunday from 12pm until 10pm. I dont remember ANYTHING between 5pm-11pm, except walking to the subway, vomiting on the tracks, walking out of the station and to a McDonald's, eating some food, and then vomiting 4-5 times on the street. The next I knew I was buzzing my friend's apartment, and passing out on his couch.

The following day, two of my friends that were at the same party I was at texted me, and told me how big of a sloppy drunk I was at this party, and at points it was quite embarrassing to watch. Unfortunately, I have no recollection, so this bothers me A LOT. Normally, I am someone that can hold my liquor well, but lately, I have been having a lot of blackouts, and have been picking up arguments with people at things that make no sense. They suggested that I be more aware of my drinking habits in the future, and that I should probably drink more moderately. As a result, I have decided to quit drinking this month, and really work on this problem of mine.

Btw, I only drink on the weekends, and am social enough to be out and about without having to drink. But when I drink, man, it's a **** show. Friends of mine have definitely begun to back away from me, and I dont like this one bit.

This is my wake up call!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome to Sober Recovery. I'm glad you found us! Good that you are listening to the wake-up call now (as opposed to in several decades). Congrats on realizing that it is a problem and doing something about it.

Very cool user name btw.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wakeupcall View Post
Hey everyone-
I just signed up to this board after receiving a wake up call from two of my friends last weekend. I partied hard at my friends birthday party Saturday night, and did some Molly. Then, I drank on an empty stomach on Sunday from 12pm until 10pm. I dont remember ANYTHING between 5pm-11pm, except walking to the subway, vomiting on the tracks, walking out of the station and to a McDonald's, eating some food, and then vomiting 4-5 times on the street. The next I knew I was buzzing my friend's apartment, and passing out on his couch.

The following day, two of my friends that were at the same party I was at texted me, and told me how big of a sloppy drunk I was at this party, and at points it was quite embarrassing to watch. Unfortunately, I have no recollection, so this bothers me A LOT. Normally, I am someone that can hold my liquor well, but lately, I have been having a lot of blackouts, and have been picking up arguments with people at things that make no sense. They suggested that I be more aware of my drinking habits in the future, and that I should probably drink more moderately. As a result, I have decided to quit drinking this month, and really work on this problem of mine.

Btw, I only drink on the weekends, and am social enough to be out and about without having to drink. But when I drink, man, it's a **** show. Friends of mine have definitely begun to back away from me, and I dont like this one bit.

This is my wake up call!
I could have wrote a post very much like this in my early 20's. My weekend binges and blackouts scared me so much I went to a few AA meetings. Since I wasn't drinking everyday, all day..well, I didn't think it was a problem. My binges turned into daily drinking by my early 30's, when I had more money and nightly wine somehow seemed socially acceptable.

I'm in my mid-40's...with many regrets in my wake as a result of continuing alcohol use. I have just a month of sobriety under my belt.

Good for you for recognizing...it's something to be SERIOUSLY concerned about. I really hope you stick around.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It is not safe to be taking the subway while very intoxicated. I would frequently be so drunk that the attendant at the subway entrance would not let me on. I was told that there are a few deaths every year from drunk people who stumble onto the tracks and are electricuted. The blackout will only get worse so stop now if you can.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome! A fellow binge drinker here! I am nearing 7 months and it is awesome to have more fulfilling weekends. glad you found us.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for realizing it's a wake up call. Blackouts are a clear sign of alcoholism, but only you can make the call to look for help. Now the question is, what are you going to do differently that you haven't done in the past? Realize that today you are sober and seeing where booze is leading you, but that might not be the case tomorrow if you don't change something, because that's been the pattern right? Give your mind some time and it will come up with a reason to drink. I know it was that way for me. I had to admit that I COULDN'T stay sober. Amazingly, once I admitted it, I was able to reach out for help and made real connections with some people that I could look in the eye and keep me accountable. Not because they knew it makes me a kinder person, or that it was a bad habit, but because it's a DEADLY disease and they didn't want to see me die early. Keep seeking - look into AA, even if you don't really think you are an alcoholic. You might find out some things about your drinking that could be helpful. Glad you are sober today!