Notices

Do you ever feel..

Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you ever feel..

Do you ever feel like you have had this problem for so long that people are getting pissed about it? I am alcoholic and I haven't stopped yet but I feel more and more people are getting annoyed with my addiction and the crap that I say.. Does anyone here feel the same.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep that is one more of many reasons i stopped.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NateBland View Post
I feel more and more people are getting annoyed with my addiction and the crap that I say.. Does anyone here feel the same.
Yes. Even sober, people still get annoyed with the crap that I say.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

NateBland, it became as big a problem as could be in my life. People were flat out disgusted with my behavior, even the drunk friends I associated with. I'm just glad its over with.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry if I am breaking any rules by asking another question in the same post.. But Do you ever feel like you will never hit that rock bottom that everyone talks about?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My girlfriend got so annoyed we broke up. My friends and family were annoyed at first, but that eventually turned into fear and then panic. There's only one ending if you keep going down the road. Annoying other people will be the least of your problems if you don't give quitting all you've got.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely wore out my welcome more than once, yes.

Many people wait for a bottom - that catastrophic event that makes you change...trouble is, some people never get those...or they die.

I think a bottom is that moment when you make the decision 'I can't live like this anymore'.

You're not ready to quit yet, Nate?

D
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

NateBland, I definitely hit rock bottom, but it could have been worse.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It would be an understatement to say I annoyed people who loved me. It was way more than annoyance. More along the lines of what Neferkamichael said...
  # 10 (permalink)  

I quit for over a month and it was the first time I ever have.. I don't believe I am ready but that is part of my question when is enough enough I have done some unspeakable stuff while drunk but is has never been enough for me to give up all together.
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am sorry if I am breaking any rules by asking another question in the same post.. But Do you ever feel like you will never hit that rock bottom that everyone talks about?
Kinda, yeah. But! Just last night I read the book Guts by Kristin Johnston. I would say she probably drank like me. She also abused opiates and benzos. I do take benzos more than the average bear, but not on a dependent, addictive level (I swear!!).

Anyway, she had an out-of-nowhere gastric ulcer burst. She almost died and didn't see it coming. It just goes to show you. Who knows what your bottom will be?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As far as I'm concerned, rock bottom is dead. I watched my mom die from her alcoholism. I hope to never hit rock bottom.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't believe I am ready
I say this a lot and most newcomers have a hard time believing it, but you can be ready whenever you want Nate.

I can see there's a part of you that really wants to stop...not next week, not next month, not next year - but now.

Work with that part - fan that ember. find the support you need to find, start making the changes you need to make.

I was found I was 'not totally with the programme' for a while...a part of me didn't want to stop.

I just stopped listening to that part

D
Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Another problem I have a brother who had a big alcohol problem where he had alot of cider a day.. But he puts down the problem I think I have because I don't drink as much or wake up craving that drink.. I get to 4pm everyday and I know that is my time.. I don't work but in my head 4pm is always the time I drink till I pass out is has become routine.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiteFeathers View Post
I do take benzos more than the average bear, but not on a dependent, addictive level (I swear!!).
I highly recommend against that. They will make anxiety worse in the long run, even if you aren't addicted. Each time you take them, you're also teaching yourself that you can't handle the anxiety by yourself, that you must take a substance to make it through.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EndGame

I quit for over a month and it was the first time I ever have.. I don't believe I am ready but that is part of my question when is enough enough I have done some unspeakable stuff while drunk but is has never been enough for me to give up all together.
If you'd rather continue drinking despite doing "unspeakable stuff while drunk," then you're not ready. As Dee wrote, we can make the choice to be ready.

My question to you is, how much more unspeakable stuff do you want to do before you decide you're ready?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This, for sure:
Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
There's only one ending if you keep going down the road. Annoying other people will be the least of your problems if you don't give quitting all you've got.
I also started annoying people although I was largely a drinker who hid by the end of my game. Nevertheless, that didn't stop me from taking to social media to harass and frighten people.

There is a writer who also describes this phenomenon (I think it is in the book, "Unwasted") but 'my drinking' also became an entity in addition to me. Like a badly behaved child or pet that people really wanted no part of.

As in, "Are you going to do something about 'your drinking'"? "If you're going to come over, just be careful about 'your drinking' because the last time you broke my favorite wineglass...'" "When you start with 'your drinking' you really become a b*tch' " "I like you except when you start with 'your drinking'"

Like that...'my drinking' was something no one wanted to deal with. But, at the end, as Big says, that was the very least of my troubles.

Quit while you're ahead, Nate. Seriously.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The secretary at my Saturday Big Book Study has been known to say something like this, " Just when you think you've hit rock bottom, there's a trap door."
Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Another problem I have a brother who had a big alcohol problem where he had alot of cider a day.. But he puts down the problem I think I have because I don't drink as much or wake up craving that drink.. I get to 4pm everyday and I know that is my time.. I don't work but in my head 4pm is always the time I drink till I pass out is has become routine.
Nate, I started drinking my Cab at 5:00pm. Well, what'ya know that turned into 4:00pm! I can't drink plain and simple. I call myself an alcoholic because I am one. That simple surrender to myself and my god has given me a new life at 55.
:-D. Bobbi
Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

if you have just noticed that they are annoyed by you they have probably been annoyed fro a long time