Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Young mum - worried drinking is getting out of control

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm posting because I'm worried my drinking is getting out of control and I want to stop it now before it gets any further. I'm in my late 20's (don't want to be TOO specific in case anyone comes across this) and I had my fourth baby a few weeks ago.
I have always liked a drink, but up until about 18 months ago, it was under control. I could take it or leave it. Just before I got pregnant this last time, for about two months beforehand, I was drinking constantly. I would make myself wait until 11.30am before I had a drink, but I found that a struggle. And I would drink all day long. Usually vodka and coke. I don't go crazy with it because I don't like being completely drunk, but am on the wrong side of tipsy all day.
I got pregnant (very much unplanned) and stopped drinking 100% without any problems at all, and didnt really miss drinking whilst pregnant either.
Then when my baby was a couple of weeks old, I had a couple of pints of cider, and haven't been able to stop drinking since. I only drink spirits, but as before, I pace myself all day so that I don't get completely wasted. I have four children and it feels like its the only way I can cope with them. I'm lonely and find my life hard work. I go to toddler groups a few times a week, and have friends there, but they are ONLY there, I don't see anyone outside of those groups apart from my husband so it's like it's the only thing I have aside from kids??
The way I was going before I got pregnant, I honestly feel like my baby came to saved my life, but here I am drinking again! I just want to stop, but every time the bottle of vodka gets empty and I swear I won't buy another one, I can always think of a reason why I deserve one. My husband oesn't really drink and he will do anything to please me, so he tells me everyone has a drink, or I deserve it etc....which doesn't help.
I don't really know what to do
A big bottle of vodka lasts me two days.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How did you deal with your three children while you were pregnant and not drinking, neverthere? Sounds like you have strong maternal instincts to be able to stop cold turkey with no problems while pregnant. Tap into that strength.

On a more practical note, are there any activities you can commit to during the day that will require you to be sober and that will engage you and your children at the same time?

Not sure how you and your husband feel about daycare, but If it means life or death with you drinking, you may want to consider putting them in daycare and getting a job or finding a volunteer position?

Welcome o SR! You've made a huge step by admitting to yourself and to us there is a problem. At some point you will have to tell your H, no?