Notices

Levitating the Sober Cycle

Old 06-21-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Levitating the Sober Cycle

One of the most most rewarding things I find as I continue the sober journey is the reawakening of the senses. Too many nights over the past twenty years spent in an alcoholic haze dulled into sensory submission. Things just got so much more vibrant after let my body fully clean out. The smell of the forest air as I walk the dogs at the crest all the while reminding myself to breathe the clean oxygen rich air. Heady stuff as it makes my way into my nostrils and invigorates me.

Later that night standing at the corner of my street staring out at the east mountain range, Feeling the breeze and watching the headlights way in the distance make their way up the interstate giving the dogs their last chance before bed. Then lying in bed with the window open feeling the breeze on my skin.

These are all sensations I rarely felt when I was constantly inebriated. I would have been too numb to feel most of them and I would have passed out too quick to enjoy the breeze in bed.

Tonight I had a massive craving but it was these recent memories of how much I enjoy "Feeling" again that kept me safe. I think I would miss these new found long buried senses. Time to head to sleep and wake up fresh and sober, take the dogs on a nice morning walk in the woods and enjoy living again.

I hope you all continue to do well in your own respective journeys. Life is so much better sober isn't it?

Have a great sober weekend.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

Thanks The breeze in bed in something I was noticing this week too. And I really needed this post today.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
One of the most most rewarding things I find as I continue the sober journey is the reawakening of the senses. Too many nights over the past twenty years spent in an alcoholic haze dulled into sensory submission. Things just got so much more vibrant after let my body fully clean out. The smell of the forest air as I walk the dogs at the crest all the while reminding myself to breathe the clean oxygen rich air. Heady stuff as it makes my way into my nostrils and invigorates me.

Later that night standing at the corner of my street staring out at the east mountain range, Feeling the breeze and watching the headlights way in the distance make their way up the interstate giving the dogs their last chance before bed. Then lying in bed with the window open feeling the breeze on my skin.

These are all sensations I rarely felt when I was constantly inebriated. I would have been too numb to feel most of them and I would have passed out too quick to enjoy the breeze in bed.

Tonight I had a massive craving but it was these recent memories of how much I enjoy "Feeling" again that kept me safe. I think I would miss these new found long buried senses. Time to head to sleep and wake up fresh and sober, take the dogs on a nice morning walk in the woods and enjoy living again.

I hope you all continue to do well in your own respective journeys. Life is so much better sober isn't it?

Have a great sober weekend.
Awesome post!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, and the weather has been very nice in your neck of the woods this week. In fact, I drove to Mt. Pocono today and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive with the sunshine and the tree covered mountains almost shimmering a brilliant blue green.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A beautiful post and reminder that there are many many simple things to be enjoyed when you are truly living.

Falling asleep in the screened in porch at the cottage with the breeze coming in is one of my favourite all time memories.

I am going to sleep on the porch in the hammock very soon
Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very true, Sudz, and beautifully put.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Cool post.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right. I have to remind myself of it tomorrow when I try again.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes, yes, yes...love this sudz!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I will always remember a man in my NA group, with tears in his eyes talking about his first Thanksgiving clean and sober...and how good the food taste, and how long it had been since he'd truly been able to taste food.

a gift had been returned to him.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post sudz.i think this should remind us all that alcoholism is a disease and it robs your body of vitality and life. Eventually killing the host organism for witch it has overtaken. Your explanation of lifes simple pleasures is right on the mark. I think sometimes we focus to much on social consequences and mental anguish we put ourselves thru for our reasoning to stop drinking. Your post lets us know our bobys appreciate it as well! Thank you sudz...