Notices

Flight (2012) film

Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flight (2012) film

Hi all

I just purchased the blu ray for this movie and watched it a second time last night. It has it's flaws, but I think it's a compelling and accurate depiction of an alcoholics struggles. I wasn't as bad as Whip (Denzel Washington) with my drinking, but I could certainly relate to a lot of what he did. Blaming his ex wife for the fact that he's miserable. Getting so drunk in front of the tv watching sentimental videos that he begins blabbering incoherently to yourself, before trying to stand and consequently passing out on the floor, and acting like nothing happened.

For me this is Denzel's finest performance. I think he deserved the Oscar for it over Daniel Day Lewis.

This thread might be more appropriate elsewhere, but I couldn't find a film related thread. Mods - sorry and please feel free to move the thread. In any case, as a viewer who found the film incredibly powerful, I was just really interested to see how those on this board found the films depiction of life as an alcoholic. Did it resonate with you? Did you see yourself in Denzel's performance at all?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was a great movie, I had tears in my eyes listening to one of the last parts of the movie when whip states: "This is going to sound real stupid coming from a man in prison. But for the first time in my life, I'm free. "

I can absolutely relate to that, Alcohol was my prison and sobriety gave me the key to be free
Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That movie kept me from drinking on the night I watched it.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could kick myself... I almost rented that from Redbox recently and changed my mind! I'll definitely go get it now. Thanks for the recommendation. Love Denzel.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Good flick. Love the John Goodman character.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I was just posting about this on another thread! I haven't seen it, but want to. What I said on the other thread was that my husband watched it and said something to me like "wow I feel like I understand what you went through a little bit" Me: "How awful I was?" him: "No, how strong you are". Which of course meant the world to me. I do plan to watch it one of these days!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I enjoyed it also especially the ending. I related to the gallon of water drinking the morning after (due to dehydration), drunken truth telling (making the drunk seem like the more ridiculous party), the sentimental pics and videos while drunk, and of course, throwing all the booze away only to go right back to it.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GPL

Yeah this movie was one of a few things that made me start to realize I had to stop. Of course my Dr. telling me I was going to die young was the first thing. I watched this movie for the first time just a few months ago but it was moving for me. Then a few months later, a very well to do guy in my neighborhood was driving drunk just barely over the legal limit and he killed someone. He has since been convicted to five years. Now his wife who didn't work is losing their house. Of course this kids lost their father too. Sad. He struggled with drinking too and always said he wanted to stop but couldn't. Once he got put in jail, he had no choice. I have a choice and I get to still be with my family.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I think it got talked up too much before I saw it. The part in the hotel room the night before trial made me tear up though......saw it coming.......but also knew there's no way it couldn't happen.

*** active alcholism....
Old 07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I watched that on Sky box office. I think all bets are off for an actor up against Daniel Day Lewis, but I thought Denzel Washington's performance was absolutely stunning. There was one particular scene where, to me, he managed to convey all the shame, defensiveness & belligerence of an alcoholic in denial. A fantastic film on many levels. And the upside down plane flying thing, well that was just ridiculously cool :-)
Old 07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just watched it last night for the second time. Its really a good portrayal.

Reminded me of a lot of things that are different in my life now.

The sub plot of the junkie woman that becomes his friend was really well done too. Its a subtle performance, but there is a lot of detail packed into it that I wasnt as aware of the first go around.

One thing that I found really interesting is the enabling that went on, from his attorney to the owner of the airline. Just shows that when there is that kind of money on the line, people don't always think about your best interests.

Overall, really good film.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GPL View Post
Yeah this movie was one of a few things that made me start to realize I had to stop.
Me too. The fridge scene. No doubt. I watched that and the first thing that popped in my head was "That is exactly what I would have done".

I have been tempted to watch it again now that I am sober but I just can't seem to do it. Even thinking about it gets me upset and teary.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The fridge scene was bad I agree. I had a bar fridge in my bedroom when I used to live at home stocked at all times with different types of beer in neat rows. Good movie that really resonated with me too.