Notices

Sunny weather and cravings

Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering

Sunny weather and cravings

Well the sun has been out again. I have found, though, that it's bought on some cravings. I'd kind of got used to not having cravings, so they aren't welcome!

Just need to whinge a little and get it off my chest.

Your's, just a little grumpily this evening,

Michael
Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Michael, I'll bet you'll become immune to it shortly. Try to associate the sunny weather with something more innocuous, like cold lemonade or freshly-squeezed orange juice. And then enjoy those beverages!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I find fizzy water is the most refreshing drink. The first time I worked on the garden this year, I finished to find hubby and daughter in sun loungers enjoying a cold beer, momentary urge there, to be sure, but not enough to invalidate all the hard work I have done to maintain my sobriety, so I broke open the fizzy water!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been craving like a mofo as well. Sometimes it's easy to say I never want to drink again... it's nasty and won't make me feel as good as I think and i'll feel like **** afterwards etc etc.... then other times it's telling me ohhh lets go get a bottle and get super trashed tonight and enjoy it.. and we won't have any repercussions tomorrow except a little hangover and cravings... but we already crave it now so what difference does it make?????

my mind is a pain in the ass.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me too. I'm trying, however, to think about how much of the summer I used to miss because of the alcohol haze....I have so much to explore!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Thanks all. As ever, it's great to be able to talk to people who understand the experience.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

2nd sober summer for me now , all I can say is grind it out it gets a lot easier. Think it all through the drink and where it leads, its pretty dull and predictable . Fizzy water and feeling real and alive is just a different level to anything that drug can provide.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Idiot!

It was always bbq time for me. BIG trigger!

Just the sun and the smell of people burning charcoal set me off craving like a psycho! Had to hide away indoors!

No problem now. Can even do a bbq for others and not bother about alcohol. Then I slip away as the conversation becomes less coherent LOL.

It does get easier. Maybe not overnight. Just hang in there.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will add you to my prayers Michael.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Summer time is always the worst time for me also.

Its funny, you will forget the "next day" of drinking and remember all the "good times" which starts the cravings and the thought loop feedback's.

Its a dangerous cycle. But if you keep the "next morning" in the fore front like others have said you will realize that waking up the next day not hung over. Being sober while enjoying a full summer day with friends and family is the best way to enjoy the summer time.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Funny you posted this tonight Michael. I came home from work a little earlier this afternoon as I had to go to a meeting close to home. It was hot today. I sat in the garden and my thoughts wandered....

Just briefly onto drinking. No great cravings, this is my second Summer sober so it was much worse last year. But I craved a cigarette big time ( only 5 weeks or so nicotine free). A glass of wine and a cigarette together to relax after a hard day...

The wine was easy to resist, but I was close to caving on the cigarettes.

And yeah, I was more than a little grumpy too!!

Hang in there xx
Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope you're both feeling brighter today Michael and Jeni. One good thing about the UK (from the alcoholic perspective) is the sunshine never lasts. Back to rain here again today! What a lovely fresh morning to appreciate hangover free
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I now drink an iced coffee sat outside if its sunny weather, or fizzy water with fresh lemon and lime in its nice. Im glad I went through the first few weeks of sobriety in the Autumn time when you want and need hot drinks in the UK!. Summer I have found a lot more association with drinking, I havnt wanted to or had any desire to drink though yet and hope it stays that way.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I find ice cream kills cravings pretty quickly.

I'll +1 fizzy water. If you don't like the taste, put about half to 3/4 fruit juice in a glass, add some fizzy water and ice. It's good stuff.

CJ.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
One good thing about the UK (from the alcoholic perspective) is the sunshine never lasts. Back to rain here again today!
That's so true! God bless the rain.

Yes, more settled again - though I do rather like cejay's idea of tackling any cravings with ice cream.

SR is great - it's so good to be able to have a whinge to people who understand.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I can certainly relate! In the height of things a few years ago any sunny Friday in the summer and I was doomed. Did x on Friday nights till dawn. Went to the bar Saturday morning at 630am and drank till noon. Went home to sleep and got up for another round sat night. I think back and all I would tell myself is that its sunny out. I should be out.

Had no idea at the time that's not a life. I thought I was it.

Urge surf. Let them pass.

Ken