Notices

Dog with tail between its legs.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dog with tail between its legs.

So when I first posted on SR. I felt like a scared little dog with my tail between my legs. Scared to do anything since everything I did involved drinking. I'm proud to say I have been sober for 7 days now. Thanks to detox.

Took my boat out this weekend, and only drank water and caught several fish. Father's day went well, I drank 16 bottles of Perrier with lime and salt. Everyone that passed by me wanted a sip of my drink just to see if I had alcohol in it. I threw in some hot sauce just to mess with my friends and family.

I rediscovered something about myself that I had forgotten. You can grab the bull by the horn and confront your fears, do not hide. Not trying to sound arrogant because the urge to drink is still strong, just sharing my experience.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Congrats on clean time...and I like the hot sauce thing too! I sprinkle Chipotle powder on some pretty strange food items (even vanilla ice cream) because I need to keep ME on my toes too!

I need to grab that bull by the horns today, it's trying to throw me
Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

16 bottles of perrier? you must of been pissing off the boat the whole time
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
16 bottles of perrier? you must of been pissing off the boat the whole time
16 bottles is nothing. On a hot day 24 pack of beer goes down easy. You can "tinkle" off the stern, bow, starboard and port side. Just NOT IN THE BOAT!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I gather you are male? :rotfxko
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
I gather you are male? :rotfxko
Yeah for some reason they do not allow me to type "pizzh -h"
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Master of Me

That's good. Congrats and keep it up. How long did you drink? I am having a hard time letting go of alcohol even though I know deep down inside it is what I need to do. I can't just cut down because somewhere down the road it always turns into a 4 or more day binge.

Any advice?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I needed to make the decision to never feel hungover, ashamed, guilty, angry, depressed, anxious and disgusted with myself ever again because of alcohol. The acceptance issue concerned the fact that any amount of alcohol was going to lead to those things, guaranteed.

Once I had made this call, the abstinence thing looked after itself.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering

Well done on day 7. I think it's really something to get that first full weekly cycle under our belts.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MasterOfMe View Post
That's good. Congrats and keep it up. How long did you drink? I am having a hard time letting go of alcohol even though I know deep down inside it is what I need to do. I can't just cut down because somewhere down the road it always turns into a 4 or more day binge.

Any advice?
I started drinking when I was 15 then drinking daily since about 2000. Cutting down on drinking for me was an in illusion, something I rationalized so I could keep drinking. By cutting down I mean drinking a 6 or 12 pack of Coors light daily, instead of drinking Coronas or other stronger beer. Binging on the weekends became the norm. The desire to quit came suddenly one day, after an embarrassing event with family members. Not one person exists that has not seen me cause a scene, which has happened more times than I can remember. I am blessed to have insurance that covers my detox program.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MasterOfMe View Post

Any advice?
I began drinking at age 25 , I'm now 55 . I attend AA meetings during the week. There's a saying that goes something like this...One drink is too many and thousand is never enough. I'm an alcoholic, not a problem drinker. Moderation will not fit it, only total abstinence is the answer for me. I just gave up, surrendered, the RELIEF was incredible. I stay focused on that ol cliche One Day At A Time. It works. :-D