Notices

4 month wall

Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

4 month wall

I have been trying to figure out what's going on with me that at 4 months the cravings are worse than ever. I have heard PAWS mentioned on here several times and have been getting info on it. I found this. "The most important thing to understand about PAWS is that each person must work through it in their own time. Nervous system damage typically requires from six to 24 months for recovery. Current research indicates that many people experience symptoms at regular intervals, including 30-day, 60-day, 90-day, 120-day, 180-day, and 1- and 2-year sobriety dates. Research has also shown that some drugs take longer to recover from than others. For instance, individuals recovering from long-term opiate and stimulant abuse may experience PAWS symptoms for up to 10 years following the start of abstinence" The good news is that is seems to be normal healing and at least the intervals get further apart.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Helped me just knowing it was normal to feel like that.

Whatever recovery method you are working...amp it up a bit to get through this rough spot. And if you aren't working a formal plan of recovery, you might think about it. A lot of folks falter when they get to the spot you are at. The memory of the misery that brought them to recovery has faded. Committment wanes. Be careful, you don't want to lose your sober time.

Be strong.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thanks Carl that might be part of my problem is that I am not using a recovery method. Had I been I would probably be aware of this before it happened. I seem to have woeful little information on what I am dealing with.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good advice from Carl. For me it's AA, and when I hit a patch like that, going to a meeting takes top priority. If we drink everything else goes to crap so make your program priority one. Google "AA Where and When" for wherever you are and find a meeting. Can't hurt to check it out and see if you hear anything that might help you through. God bless.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Meditate - I started 6 months ago just sitting and trying to be mindful (or mindless) for 20 mins. Simple breath concentration is all you have to focus on. Soberjennie has a link to a PDF that I'm reading now.

I can't imagine having 4 months !!! That is such a real accomplishment. A true winner winner.

Fight sister. Fight.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindf...in_english.pdf

Found it !
Old 06-15-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I have been trying to figure out what's going on with me that at 4 months the cravings are worse than ever. I have heard PAWS mentioned on here several times and have been getting info on it. I found this. "The most important thing to understand about PAWS is that each person must work through it in their own time. Nervous system damage typically requires from six to 24 months for recovery. Current research indicates that many people experience symptoms at regular intervals, including 30-day, 60-day, 90-day, 120-day, 180-day, and 1- and 2-year sobriety dates. Research has also shown that some drugs take longer to recover from than others. For instance, individuals recovering from long-term opiate and stimulant abuse may experience PAWS symptoms for up to 10 years following the start of abstinence" The good news is that is seems to be normal healing and at least the intervals get further apart.
I wish more people talked about PAWS because for someone who isnt familiar with what it is, those intervals where it shows up, can be quit disheartening. I just had a bout of it with my 2 year marker, almost like clockwork. I am aware of when it shows up, so it makes it easier to deal with. Its a real thing and needs to be talked about more!!! Great post!! Congrats on the 4 months.