Notices

You know you are an active alcoholic if.......

Old 01-24-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

...when You don't plan on the Liquor stores being CLOSED on Xmas Day and You have to check into a Hotel with Room Service to be able to Drink that day...
Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

... you have to keep wondering.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by diffingo911 View Post
...when You don't plan on the Liquor stores being CLOSED on Xmas Day and You have to check into a Hotel with Room Service to be able to Drink that day...
HAHAAAAAAAAAA
I needed a laugh today.
I never did that....but I DID go to restaurants on days when liquor stores were not open...and spent $100s on booze when I could have bought a bottle for $20 IF the stores were open..........
Old 01-24-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Saturday night genius-level thinking: I wanna sleep in a bit tomorrow, but have a suspicion I'll wake up at 4am with a screaming anxiety attack (read: withdrawal from 2-day binge). So, I'll put a tall-boy under my side of the bed. Pre-opened but still full. That way I can slam it without waking spouse, close my eyes and drift off again. Only to delay the inevitable horror show by a couple hours. -Then, maybe I'll start my sneaky garage routine!!

Fun Times...
Old 01-24-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

You think you're funny when you trivialize your alcoholic drinking with worn out statements like " there must be a hole in this bottle! " or " it's 5:00 somewhere! "
Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

You resort to drinking cheap ICE beer for its higher AC for the buck.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
You resort to drinking cheap ICE beer for its higher AC for the buck.
Steel Reserve 211 8.1 ABV

(shudder)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:54 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

You lose your ID after a night out of drinking and have no idea where you left it so you order a new one... then you lose that ID on a separate night out drinking.... call the bar the next day and ask if they found a lost ID and they respond, "OHHHH you're ALICIA, we have 2 IDs of yours here....."

when you lose just about everything; keys, cell phones, wallets, credit cards, sweatshirts, jackets, etc...
Old 01-24-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

You're pretty sure your blood type is Mike's Harder Blood Orange, and you're actually OK with that.

You are convinced that you're a time saver, because drinking is way more filling, faster than sitting down to eat after you spent a half an hour making everyone else dinner.

You're perpetually nauseous.

Web MD, is on your block list, because it's symptom checker tells you you could have early signs of cirrhosis.

You keep planning to quit, but damnit, you don't give up easily, on things you're actually good at! 😂

Last edited by Asthecrowflies; 01-24-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

You're embarrassed by the sound of clanking bottles when you empty the trash.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

You take medication your not supposed to drink on and you do anyway, with horrible hangovers and do it again day after day.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

This thread scares me....
Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by Toolongway View Post
This thread scares me....
I was scared 4 pages ago!!

Okay here's one of my favorites:

You gravitate from buying mid-shelf bourbon to cheapie Canadian whisky in plastic bottles so its easy to burn them with the rest of the paper trash.... and not have to ditch glass at the gas station/walmart/etc.

(I live in farm country... everyone burns their trash!)
Old 02-04-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

You are sitting outside the bottle shop at 9am and are annoyed it hasn't opened on time.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
You spend considerable energy trying to act "normal" so those around you wont notice you've been drinking (the eye contact is the hardest part)

You can't eat anything without having almost instant diarrhea

Washing your hair in the shower with your eyes closed results in head spins and loss of balance

You say things to the people you love that you would never dream of saying when sober

You have no time on your hands and yet never actually get anything done

Your electricity gets turned off because "they never sent me a bill" (yea right)

You hide bottles so well that you can never find them and then spend forever looking for them.

People you've never met before say to you "are you all right" or "you know you drink to much"?

You forget your words mid sentence and in an attempt to fill the void blabber on about nothing

You are short of breath when speaking

Your idea of just one drink requires the purchase of a whole 750mm of Vodka

You know that bile is a slightly fluorescent green colour and that your teeth feel like sandpaper against each other after vomiting

You have to take care going down stairs the morning after a hard night because your knees feel like they are going to give way

You feel elated when you discover more booze left in the bottle than you though would be there

You have a whole collection of DVDs and you have no idea how the movie ends despite having watched them all

You ask 3 Women out on a date in a single day and then forget to turn up for any of them

You scramble to check if your Credit Cards are in your wallet the next morning and that you are wearing your watch...and them feel enormous relief when they are there

You tell taxi drivers at random that you are an alcoholic just to see what sort of response you get

You feel furious that liquor stores open at 10:00 am on some days and even then employees will open them 7 minutes late

Your hand shakes so badly that you hope they wont notice your absurd scribble of a signature bears no resemblance to the one on the back of the card

You creep downstairs in the morning acting casually waiting to see if you screwed up and who you owe an apology to

Your sheets don't get changed and grow slightly brown with sweat in no time at all

I say "you" but that is all stuff that happened to me....all the time.
Are you my twin brother? Damn dude that's exactly the **** I did.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:04 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

My creativity for finding secret/low profile ways to aquire, hide and consume liquor was off the hook. If only I would have channeled all that energy towards something more profitable!
Old 02-01-2021, 07:22 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Wow...I’m not in denial about my alcoholism, but...

I cannot believe how many of these “tricks” and manipulative tactics I’ve used. Because at the time I was using these antics, I **was** in denial.

I can certainly relate to shopping multiple liquor stores, including convenient stores in one week. some of them were very far apart.

I would buy vitamin water just to dump it out and refill with wine because the sticker emblem on the bottle covered most of the plastic bottle and the vitamin water was the same color as my wine. I would simply rinse and reuse.

If I was going to a “dry” event, I would buy mini wine bottles or my “vitamin water bottles” and take my oversized purse so I could indulge in the bathroom.

I bought bubble wrap to wrap my empty bottles so they wouldn’t clang together if someone else picked up the bag.

I was so thankful for every Wednesday after garbage pick-up because I knew the “evidence” was gone (at least the empty ones).

I kept an empty gym bag in my car to transfer my liquor purchases so I could bring them in the house without questions. I always told them to toss the receipt.

I always stopped at the ATM before going to the liquor store so there was no record of the purchase on my bank records.

I downloaded a BAC calculator to see how long it would take me to reach the legal limit. I deleted the app when I saw 22+ hours more than once.

im sure there are more, but making this list really puts my addiction into perspective...

Old 02-02-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

When you are a man and you get to work

and realize that you have your girlfriends blouse on. Wondered why it was so tight. That was around 35 years ago and I still remember that ride into work that day on my Harley motorcycle after a weekend spent on the wild side.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:54 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

I’ve never run across his thread before. I read every post and it made me terrified. Really scared. That I am in danger of all of those activities. Some I’ve done, some not. I am somewhere along the scale of those drinking experiences and, I think, reading this all at once made me see the decline that could happen to me.

And I am thankful these posters shared their pain here. I am in tears and I want to hug each and every one of you.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:24 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  

This is so jarring I'm not even sure it's helpful. But talk about on the money. I will try to focus on the saying: "time heals all wounds"...