Notices

So I'm back - Day 1

Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I'm back - Day 1

I posted almost two years ago about quitting drinking. I lasted 80 days and started again when my grandmother died. Since then I went back to my half-a-fifth-a-night habit.

Sometimes more when life got stressful.

I knew I had a problem but was afraid to stop. I decided recently it was time. Here is what I'm doing differently.

1) I had a physical and talked with my doctor. None of this cold turkey "doing it alone" crap. I have a medical condition, not a will power issue. I have a prescription for lorazepam that I will take 3x a day for 20 days to prevent withdrawal symptoms.
2) I am seeing a therapist once a week to discuss the issue.
3) AA. I'm not a believer in the entire process, but I'm going 2x/week just for moral support. At the very least it's a nice group therapy.
4) Blood tests. My doc ran my blood tests and I have liver damage. I guess that will happen after drinking as much as I do for almost six years. If anything I have numbers to back up my decision to quit. If I keep drinking I will die from it.
5) Activities. I'm back in martial arts, which will be a great stress reliever and keep me busy 3x a week. I am also going to start riding my bicycle the 9 miles to work a few times a week.

There is really no point for me posting this other than to say that I'm taking it seriously, and I'm using a multi-direction approach to do it.

Truthfully, I wish I could drink like a normal person, but while enjoying wine with my girlfriend I find myself sneaking into the kitchen to take shots of tequila. It's to the point where I feel like I can control it, but I just don't want to. I will never be able to drink like a normal person.

So I choose life and sobriety. The next month is going to suck, but hopefully the lorazepam will make a difference this time around.

Here's to day one!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jose, sounds like a plan!

I'm sorry about your grandmother.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by GoodbyeJose View Post
...I wish I could drink like a normal person...
Welcome back. It's worth it.

I was at a meeting and an old timer who is very funny said basically, 'do you know how much a normal person drinks? They drink 1.5 ounces of alcohol. Do you know how little that is. That sounds terrible. I don't want to drink like a normal person. That sounds awful. I would rather not drink at all.'

Helped me realize that drinking like a 'normal person' is not really what I want. Never was.

Good luck. Be strong!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by veryready View Post
Welcome back. It's worth it.

I was at a meeting and an old timer who is very funny said basically, 'do you know how much a normal person drinks? They drink 1.5 ounces of alcohol. Do you know how little that is. That sounds terrible. I don't want to drink like a normal person. That sounds awful. I would rather not drink at all.'

Helped me realize that drinking like a 'normal person' is not really what I want. Never was.

Good luck. Be strong!
now THAT is some awesome perspective.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back GJ

D
Old 06-10-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

It's amazing to me that we all have the choice to never have to experience a Day 1 again for the rest of our lives.

That being said, I think of all the Day 1's I made myself experience. Boggles the mind...

Keep going - and all the best!

D.D.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember my day one goodbyejose. It was the best of my life. I was finally free from the effects. If this terrible affliction know as alcoholism. Embrace this day. Its a gift!!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you found your way back, GJ - sounds like you have a really good plan laid out.

I didn't want to stop drinking either, but after a bit of sobriety, I realized that was my addiction talking. It owned me for way too long. Getting free from the constant battle/cravings/obsession is worth some tough days in the beginning. If we can do it, so can you!

Welcome back!